Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Train from Laos to Bangkok

• IvybridgeCl-
    an

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2012

We are in Luang Prabang this New Year and then travelling to Bangkok. Considering bus/fly options to Vientiane , we are worried about the bus ride and how safe this is along mountainous, winding roads? Had terrible experience in minibus in Cambodia! Are accidents and breakdowns common/rare on this route LP to VV? Also, catching overnight train to Bangkok. If we do not stay in Vientiane overnight, but arrive during the day (on bus/flight), how much time will we need to allow in order to make it to the border for the train connection? Is this realistic or better to overnight in Vientiane?

#1 Posted: 15/10/2012 - 21:47

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Trains currently depart from Nong Khai to Bangkok at 06:00, 18:20 and 19:20. Check www.railway.co.th for all your train schedule questions.

There are no trains in Laos as far as I know, so you'll have to take the bus or else hire a private car or fly from LP to Bangkok, which is expensive on Bangkok Airways. I've never done the bus from LP to Vientiane so can't comment on safety. I've heard it's a long and slow ride.

#2 Posted: 15/10/2012 - 21:59

• enday

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2012
    Total reviews: 6

The flight from LP to Vientiane is around $90.
    A website called seat 61 has really good info about the train, how much time you'll need etc. I don't think you'll need a night in Vientiane if you don't want to
    Someone else will have to add info about the bus, I took the train-flight route!

#3 Posted: 18/10/2012 - 08:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.