Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Getting into Laos from Hanoi

• yomanvin

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2012
    Location India

Hey guys,

Which crossover should I take to get into Laos from Hanoi . I heard there is a direct bus from Hanoi to Luang Prabang. Would it be impossible during the XMas and New years week?

#1 Posted: 24/10/2012 - 05:10

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

There are direct buses, very long trip - I'd only take it if you're in a real hurry to get from A to B. Otherwise you could break up the trip and have a nice time of it along the way. Nam Xoi & Na Maew would probably be the easiest and put you in near Xam Nua from there you could stay a night or two and then head onward to either Nong Kiaow or Phonsovan depending on what attracted you as a stop off point on the way to Luang Prabang.

#2 Posted: 25/10/2012 - 22:00

• yomanvin

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2012
    Location India

@caseyprinch - I'm sorry but I don't get it. The destinations you charted out, they're like a path through Vietnam to Laos linked by bus routes or something? I planned to touch Phonsovan now that you mentioned it.

#3 Posted: 26/10/2012 - 07:27

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Nam Xoi/Na Maew is the closest border crossing to Hanoi that gets you into Laos. It is very near Xam Nua - Sam Neua - on the other side of the border of Laos, that would make a good stopping point because once in Laos it'll take you a number of hours to get from anywhere to anywhere. The remainder of the post was offering to alternative options to move from Xam Nua to Luang Prabang , each with a stop to break up a long journey. Journey times would probably be fastest (a relative word) between Xam Nua and Phonsavan (plain of jars) then onto Luang Prabang - and you get to see the plain of jars. Nong Kiaow is a ride through beautiful scenery and then a nice town with some hiking in the area and a possible detour an hour up river to Mung Ngoi. Then you can catch a mini-bus or boat from Nong Kiaow down to Luang Prabang.

My spelling was off on the last post for some of the locations.

#4 Posted: 26/10/2012 - 19:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.