Flag of Laos

Laos forum

A Month in Laos

• gatoguts

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2012

I have about a month vacation in december-january, and was thinking of spending either a month in Laos or splitting my time between Laos and Vietnam, both of which I've never been to. I'm worried that 2 weeks in Vietnam might be too rushed. Is a full month in Laos too much?

#1 Posted: 26/10/2012 - 03:50

• Advertisement

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

maybe. depends on your tastes and what you are after. Some people only sit 29 days in Muang Singh doing what anyone does there.
    PLus: VN is also too big too all in 30 days-so simply narrow it down to like any visitor always does: to the places that seems most interesting. NOOne will after your visit make an exam to check if you have seen it all.

#2 Posted: 26/10/2012 - 04:46

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Two weeks in Vietnam is definitely too rushed unless you just focus on one area (ie north or south). Whether or not you'd be happy spending a month in Laos really depends on what you want to do when you are there. If you're looking at hitting the main, popular highlights then you might find if a bit too long. But if you're keen to slow things down, and want to venture away from the main travel route, you could quite easily kill a month there.

To spend a month in Laos, aim to spend half the time in the north , and the other half in the South (Pakse, Bolaven Plateau, Champasak, 4000 Islands, etc).

If you want to split your time between Laos and Vietnam, then focus on the northern half of Laos.

#3 Posted: 26/10/2012 - 05:38

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Where have you already been in the region? Where are you arriving/departing? What kind of vacation do you want and what kinds of things do you like to do?

Personally, I'd be thrilled to have an entire month to spend in Laos. It would give me time to visit a few spots I haven't been to yet and re-visit some favorite places.

Like the others say, it depends on what you want to do. If a slow-paced adventure is your style, Laos is perfect and there is easily a month of stuff to do.

If you split the time between Laos and Vietnam, busylizzy suggested focusing your laos time in the north. But the south is a pretty great spot to visit too. If you focused there you could move to Vietnam or through Cambodia into Vietnam. Cheers.

#4 Posted: 27/10/2012 - 10:57

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

"If you focused there you could move to Vietnam or through Cambodia into Vietnam."

I certainly wouldn't try to see 3 countries in a month.

#5 Posted: 27/10/2012 - 17:03

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Exacto is quite right in saying the Southern Laos quite nice, too. However, I thought I'd explain why I suggested the north if you will only spend two weeks there. If you are wanting to see highlights, this suggests to me that you are more likely to be a person that wants to focus on the key, popular tourists sites (Luang Prabang, VV, etc) - and there is probably more to see/do in the north, and there will be more tourists/ravellers around for company.

Things in southern Laos are quieter and even more laid back, less people except perhaps in the Islands area. I think it's great. But if you're someone that wants a bit more activity I can't help but think that the north will provide that more so than the south. But it just comes down to what sort of experience that you are looking for. Any of the options are good - Laos is a lovely country.

#6 Posted: 27/10/2012 - 17:29

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

"I certainly wouldn't try to see 3 countries in a month."

I wasn't suggesting that either. But depending on where the OP wanted to go in southern Vietnam, it might be easier to travel there from southern Laos via Cambodia than backtracking via some other route.

But now that lizzy made such a good case for focusing on northern Laos, I'd agree that staying north in Laos is the better option. Regards.

#7 Posted: 27/10/2012 - 17:52

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I spent a month in Laos, south and only got as far north as LP. so I think a month is not too long.

#8 Posted: 27/10/2012 - 19:25

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I've been to Laos twice for roughly 3 weeks - one excursion in the North, I took my time some places but still missed out on getting up to Luang Nam Tha area; one excursion in the south, I was pretty satisfied with my time spent. Still haven't made it to Vientiane or Vang Vieng that big cave the name of which I can not remember. . .

So my thought is that you will not get bored in a month - and great thing about Laos is that it can stay fairly cheap compared to anywhere else you may travel in SE Asia.

#9 Posted: 27/10/2012 - 21:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.