Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Air to Phonsavan

• robynryd

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2012

Hi all,
    I have read that Lao airlines fly a few times a week to Phonsavan but cant find any info on the Laoairlines site. Any clues as to what the situation is as we are crossing into Lao in a few weeks and would like to include the plain of jars in the itinerary. The bus trip looks hellish. Any up to date info appreciated. Thanks everyone.

#1 Posted: 21/11/2012 - 16:02

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

There is a flight from Vientiane to Phonsavan , but you cannot fly to/from LP. The airport is Xien Khouang (XKH) so searching for Phonsavan won't be a success!

It's an expensive flight - but it's a nice one as it flies quite low which gives you a good view of scenery.

#2 Posted: 21/11/2012 - 22:23

• robynryd

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2012

Thanks for the reply busylizzy. I did actually search for the XKH from Vientiane on the website but with no success. Do you know which days it flies? Many thanks.

#3 Posted: 22/11/2012 - 01:59

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

On the flights page, tHere's a section on the left side under the 'Search your flight' box that says 'International Flights'. It gets a bit lost in all the clutter of photos, etc....

http://www.laoairlines.com/flights/flight-schedule.html

According to this, it's daily, but I know that when I was there a year ago it was only 3-4/x week - but can't remember which days.

#4 Posted: 22/11/2012 - 04:15

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

Yeah, what busylizzy said as far as flights go. Daily flights.

As far as buses go, it depends on what you consider hellish. One good point is that the road to Phonsavan is paved. So it's not really hellish. Buses go there regularly from both Luang Prabang and Vientiane and it generally takes 8-10 hours. It's not too bad.

I'd also recommend doing other stuff when you're in Phonsavan. The jars are OK, but I think there's more to the province than that. Either getting a chartered tuk tuk or rental motorbike is the way to go if you want to check out Nong Tarn, Muang Khoun and Tham Piew Cave. Also if you have time, it's well worth heading up to Sam Neua from there in order to see Vieng Xai caves. Brilliant.

#5 Posted: 22/11/2012 - 04:18

• robynryd

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2012

Wow! Thanks for the quick responses. Great news that its a daily flight as our time will be short. Thanks for the tips for Phonsavan, mooball. Now, if you can plan the rest of the trip for me, that would be great! I wish we did have more time to do the Sam Neua leg, but my companions want to exit via LP to Chang Rai/Mai.
    Seriously tho', arriving into Vientiane 30th Dec and having trouble finding a hotel. The ones i have looked at on one site have really bad reviews on another website. Is anyone there at the moment (not recollections from years ago please), who can recommend a decent hotel for mature age travellers (2 rooms, 3 people)? As we will be travelling in from Chaiyamphum, we may be arriving late, so we would really like to get our inward bound hotel sorted soon. All recommendations greatly appreciated. Thanks again and safe travels.

#6 Posted: 22/11/2012 - 13:26

• robynryd

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2012

Thanks busylizzie. Silly me. I was trying to follow the domestic link, not international flights. Doh! Fantastic info. Now we can plan.......

#7 Posted: 22/11/2012 - 13:32

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Funny - I almost mentioned the Domestic link problem. That one catches me out every time. :-/

Depending on your budget, I'd recommend Soupaphone Guesthouse – 170,000kip/night Sept last year). I booked by emailing them, and this was their walk-in and email inquiry price for double, exl breakfast. It was fairly central, clean, etc - with WiFi in some room. As a fellow middle-ager, I'd highly recommend it.

#8 Posted: 22/11/2012 - 18:59

• robynryd

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2012

Thanks for the info for Soupaphone GH busylizzy. It looked perfect but we cant seem to book online through the link, nor have they responded to a direct email, so i guess thats a no-go. Sigh.

#9 Posted: 25/11/2012 - 03:23

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I'm surprised you haven't heard from them via email - I had very good email communication with them, both at the time that I booked, and later when confirmed things closer to my arrival. Maybe give them another day or two if you emailed over the weekend....

#10 Posted: 25/11/2012 - 03:49

• Advertisement

• robynryd

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2012

Yeah, I figured the same so will give them another day or so and see how we go. Thanks, :)

#11 Posted: 25/11/2012 - 15:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.