Flag of Laos

Laos forum

kayak Southern Laos

• gen3ish

Joined Travelfish
    23rd November, 2012

Hi, I'm going to Laos for a month mid-Jan to mid-Feb and one of my goal is to kayak within the 4000 islands. I heard Don Dhet is one place. Do you know where I can rent a double kayak and an idea of the price to rent it for day trips or about four days.
    Thanks.

#1 Posted: 28/11/2012 - 22:47

• Advertisement

• djkeith

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2011

There are loads of places on Don Det where you will be able to get a kayak, but you need to be careful. There is a watrefall on neighbouring Don Khone so you will not be able to kayak your way around the whole island as it is too dangerous. Most people hire a tube and do it that way, but I found that boring! Not sure where you'd be able to kayak. As for prices, it will be dirt cheap and you will also be able to knock them down on price

One trip I did was with Green Discovery. I was travelling from Vientianne to Vang Vieng and I did kayaking and zip lining in a day. The kayaking was cool as you go over rapids etc and the zip lining is hairy stuff! They offer loads of stuff and I found them to be excellent. But be warned, it isn't the cheapest, but it was excellent. Have a look at there website for more info - www.greendiscoverylaos.com

#2 Posted: 7/12/2012 - 14:55

• gen3ish

Joined Travelfish
    23rd November, 2012

Thanks for the info. I heard that it was possible kayaking south of Don Det, that actually it looks like kayaking over a lake. Good to know that there is a waterfall nearby!!!!

#3 Posted: 9/12/2012 - 15:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.