Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Where to go?

• desertwoman

Joined Travelfish
    25th August, 2006

I'm in Viang vieng.. ( sick in the last 2 days, damn brutal food poisoning )

Planning to continue my trip to Luang Prabang tommorrow.
    I only have 10 days left in Laos.

Where should I go? Should I skip Luang Nam Tha for my next visit? ( hopefully )

Thank you.. Somtam!! How are you? Hope you well..

#1 Posted: 19/5/2007 - 11:26

• Advertisement

• ernieh

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Hi desertwoman,

That sucks about the food poisioning in VV.

I would spend the rest of time in Luang Prabang. It's one of the best places in Laos. You could take the public bus to the town of Phonsavan to see the Plain of Jars. The bus ride is not the greatest for your stomach with so many zig zag roads.

LP was designated a World Heritage Site and is small enough to walk or bicycle. A bicycle costs $1 US a day. The town is so nice that you can easily spend a few days than planned. The town is located on the Mekong River and has traditional and European influenced buildings, including approximately 50 elaborately decorated temples. The most notable is Wat Thong. Every morning at 6:00 am sees a long line of orange robed monks walk the town for offerings.

Luang Prabang has a number of places to visit outside of town including the the Pak Ou caves and Tat Kuang Si waterfalls.

The Pak Ou Caves, on the Nam Ou River contain many images of the Buddha. At the neighbouring village a local industy is the sale of laolao (a potent rice whiskey) in bottles also containing snakes, scorpions or centipedes. They would make interesting souvenirs though I suspect you might have some difficulty getting them through customs in some countries. The caves are about 25km from Luang Prabang and can be visited on a half day trip. You can get there by boat or to a neighbouring village by road and ferried across. Travel agencies and guesthouses in Luang Prabang can arrange transport . I booked a full day tour including the Pak Ou Caves and Tat Kuang Si waterfalls for $6 US. Admission to Pak Ou Caves is 20,000 Kip

You would be hard pressed to find a more spectacular waterfall than Tat Kuang Si. It's a great place to go for a swim in the pools at the base of the waterfalls. When you get dropped off by tuk-tuk/minivan a number of local vendors have food and refreshments for sale. After walking the trail for 100 metres there are two different compounds containing a tiger and bears which were confiscated from poachers while they were still a cub.

Tat Kuang Si is about 32km from Luang Prabang. A number of travel agencies and guesthouses in Luang Prabang can arrange transport to the Pak Ou cave in the morning and waterfall in the afternoon for around $6-8 US roundtrip. Another option is to organize a group of 6 people and share a tuk-tuk for around $2 US to the waterfall. I did this the second time I went to the waterfalls. Admission to Tat Kuang Si waterfalls is 20,000 Kip.

While walking around town I came across a great initiative called the "The Language Project". The purpose of the project is to create and support libraries in underdeveloped areas. It provides motivated people the resources and tools they need to study and help themselves from books that have been donated. Most of the users utilize the facility to learn English from books that are not available in Laos. The web-site is http://www.thelanguageproject.org/.

My recommendations:

Bakery/Coffee
    - Joma's Bakery and Scandenavian Bakery
    Restaurants
    - L'Elephant, Tamarine (Lao food), Vegetarian Buffet near the Night Market
    - Spend the day at Tat Kuang waterfall
    - Check out the Night Market
    - Rent a bicycle for the day
    - L'Etranger (nice place to chill and read a book)
    - Hive (nice place for a drink)
    - 1 day Trek and 1 day of kayaking

As you can see LP has so much to offer.

Ernie

#2 Posted: 19/5/2007 - 19:28

• desertwoman

Joined Travelfish
    25th August, 2006

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!!!
    BETTER THAN MY LONELY PLANET BOOK!!!

I'm here btw! Just to keep a nice pace.. I might stay here for at least a week! Such a beautiful stunning little place in here!!! LOVE IT

Thank you so much.. I wanted to print out this information but this internet cafe doesn't have any printer hehehe

Thank you so much.. will let you know how the trips goes. Been raining though... :-(

#3 Posted: 21/5/2007 - 09:18

• ernieh

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi desertwoman,

Nice to hear that u are having good time in LP.

It's the best place in Laos and one of the best in SE Asia.

Ernie

#4 Posted: 22/5/2007 - 20:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.