Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Muang Ngoi to Luang Namtha

Posted by nikw83 on 7/12/2012 at 23:22

Would i be correct in saying to get from Muang Ngoi to Luang Namtha most directly-
I would need to get the
-boat from Muang Ngoi to Nong Khiaw,
-bus to Udomxai,
-onwards bus to Luang Namtha?

I will be traveling early to mid Jan with no set dates only a time frame to be back at Bangkok for my flight home.

I have had a look on line for these details and would just like to know if things have changed since the posts are quite dated.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

#1 nikw83 has been a member since 25/7/2012. Posts: 6

Posted by mooball on 10/12/2012 at 09:36 TF writer

Have been there recently and you're right. Boat to Nong Khiaw, bus to oudomxai and then bus to Luang Nam Tha. Or better still, bus from Nong Khiaw to Pak Mong and then from there bus to Luang Nam Tha. Pak Mong is at a major cross roads and all buses heading north from Vientiane and Luang Prabang have to pass through here. That means there are plenty of direct buses to Luang Nam Tha.

Nong Khiaw to Oudomxai bus departs at 11am or thereabouts and costs 45,000 kip
If you miss this, plenty of buses go from Nong Khiaw to Pak Mong (ie the Luang Prabang bus which meets up with the boat from Muang Ngoi). Take your pick!

Whatever the case, it's an easy trip.

#2 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 431
 Where has mooball been?   Twitter   Google+   Instagram 

Posted by nikw83 on 12/12/2012 at 14:42

thank you for taking the time to reply.
i just have a few questions- from pak mong to muang lamtha do the buses run directly? or would we have to change at oudomxai? is it likely that we would get stuck at pak mong (not beibg able to get an onward bus)

#3 nikw83 has been a member since 25/7/2012. Posts: 6

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.