Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Deaths in Laos

• Red_Eye

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2013

It has been reported that a second Australian man has been found dead in Laos. The two men were aged 38 and 40. The second man died in Vientiane, so I am assuming it was not Vang Vieng related. Does anyone know what has happened?

#1 Posted: 9/1/2013 - 16:25

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The first one was due to "excessive partying" (whatever that means!) few details so far on second one other than to say they were friends. Very odd.

http://mobile.news.com.au/travel/news/second-australian-man-dies-in-laos-following-death-of-kane-scriven-on-new-years-day/story-e6frfq80-1226550877985

#2 Posted: 9/1/2013 - 17:53

• fondo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2006
    Total reviews: 19
    Places visited:
    At least 98

#3 Posted: 9/1/2013 - 18:38

• forestmat

Click here to learn more about forestmat
    Joined Travelfish
    24th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

#4 Posted: 9/1/2013 - 19:13

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

At this stage the cause of deaths is unknown.

#5 Posted: 9/1/2013 - 23:16

• Red_Eye

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2013

Looks like a bad batch of drugs. Both were friends travelling together. Another Australian man got methonol poisoning and died in Indo this week from the local brew. I wondered whether it was the same here, but no.

#6 Posted: 10/1/2013 - 00:06

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

That home brew (rice wine) they sell all over SE Asia can be a real problem. Deaths have also been reported in Vietnam due to alcohol poisoning, recently.

#7 Posted: 10/1/2013 - 12:42

• Red_Eye

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2013

I heard the young man's dad on the radio last night. Very sad. He was drinking cocktails in Ruddy's bar on Gilli T in Lombok. The bar must have been mixing in arak with the vodka.

Do you get deaths in Laos from that Lao Lao they sell everywhere?

#8 Posted: 10/1/2013 - 16:16

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

"Do you get deaths in Laos from that Lao Lao they sell everywhere?"
    No.

#9 Posted: 10/1/2013 - 18:22

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Anytime something is home brewed in a rural environment, there is a small element of risk of alcohol poisoning. This is true whether it's the US, Africa or Laos.

As for Lao Cao (or lao lao as I saw it here described) that is a commercial product sold where I live (Thai border town). It is absolutely horrible, but it's cheap, so it's the booze of choice for poor alcoholics. Even my rice farmer father in law (who doesn't have a lot of money) won't drink it. Of course, he's not an alcoholic.

#10 Posted: 10/1/2013 - 20:45

• Advertisement

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

"It is absolutely horrible,"
    I like it

#11 Posted: 10/1/2013 - 22:12

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Well my friend, there is no accounting for taste. Lao Cao would make a billy goat puke.

#12 Posted: 11/1/2013 - 01:00

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

There is not only the risk of alcohol poisening, there is also always a risk of food poisening.

But that applies to all countries, no matter if Laos, China or USA. My dad was close to death after eating clams in south france. Of course it is bad if they mix a brand liquor with some local brew to safe money and risk your health. That should be punished. but as I just wrote, there is always a basic risk, because you never follow the product from the source.

I am more worried about cases like in Krabi or Phi Phi with unknown cause of death or rapes.

And don't get me wrong, I am very sorry for these 2 poor guys and their families.

#13 Posted: 11/1/2013 - 02:45

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Australian media has a story on the unfortunate guy who died drinking on Gili Trawangan -- the bar is apparently still selling tainted drinks...

It's my understanding you need to drink about 10ml of methanol to have a good chance of going blind and 30 ml to get extremely ill or die -- going on the results from their sample, the guy would have needed to drink around 50 lime & vodkas...

Now I don't know about you, but that strikes me as an awful lot of booze. If I drank 50 lime & vodkas I'd be in a very bad way -- with or without even the methanol...

I'm not excusing the bar doing this, but it does seem there is a little more to the story and does explain why not all their clientele are dying. Obviously the bar needs to be stopped from doing what it is, but perhaps also, not only watch what you drink, but also how much you drink.

#14 Posted: 11/1/2013 - 03:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.