Flag of Laos

Laos forum

A month in Laos - Too much travel?

• Bowner

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2013

Hi All,
    I'm off to Laos on Tuesday for a month. My plans are pretty loose at the moment but I'm starting to think I'd like to spend some time around LP but also get right down South to the Wat Phou temples and maybe even further south. I'm starting to wonder if I should decide on one or the other as reading about the nightmare bus journeys makes me wonder if it's worth the trip all the way down South.

What do you think? Does a month mean I could take it all in without overdoing the time spent on buses?

#1 Posted: 10/1/2013 - 15:48

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Well, if Luang Prabang is the farthest north you're going, then I don't think it is too much of a problem. I really enjoyed Southern Laos and spent just under three weeks there - but did an extended motorbike trip out of Pakse into the the Bolavan Plateau. After that, and then maybe 2 nights in Wat Phu, you could treat yourself to some relaxing time at 4,000 islands (just one or two hours south of Pakse) and you're really as far south as you can go.

Your only major bus ride would be Vientiane to Pakse, which you could break up with a night stop in Savannakhet and/or by visiting Kong Lor Cave.

4 nights LP
    2 nights VV
    2 Vientiane
    2/3 nights on the way to Pakse
    1 night Pakse
    3/4 nights Bolavan Plateau . . .

As a rough plan that is just over 2 weeks if you want to move rather quickly - you could easily add a day or two on to any location and still have a solid week for Wat Phu and 4,000 islands. I'm not sure how you are exciting Laos and where you are getting back home though.

#2 Posted: 10/1/2013 - 17:46

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I spent a month in Laos last Feb. Doing both the north and south implies buses I'm afraid, no the roads aren't all that good and the buses are cramped and uncomfortable, but hey that's part of the adventure. Don't miss out on Kong Lor cave, it's a must see. You may also want to check out the elephant festival, it changes locations on a yearly basis.

#3 Posted: 10/1/2013 - 17:49

• Bowner

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2013

Thanks both. I had been tempted to go trekking in the North but realise that if I do that it really is stretching it to do stuff in the South too. I think I'll try and get down South and do some trekking there and skip the far North.

Kong Lor sounds good for a stop along the way. I'm not really into skipping through places at any great speed so will always aim to stay at least 2 nights in one place unless it really is bad.

Just had a look for dates of the elephant festival and I'll be flying out of Vientiane the day before. Dammit!

#4 Posted: 11/1/2013 - 04:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.