Laos forum

Returning home from laos.

• Gorey

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3

Hey there again,
    im off in 11 days, but im clearing up my final 'to-do' and i have two options of returning home. I have to fly to hong kong to catch my flight back home. i plan to be ending my trip in the southern part of Laos (champasak probably)
    I had originally planned to fly from Paske to Vientiane spend a few days there and get the train from Nong Khai to bangkok to fly to hong kong. But ive travelled around quite abit of thai trains, and the novelty has warn off and im not exactly wanting to effectivly waste a day on one again, so i looked into flying home from Siem Reap or Phnom Penh. Id have to shave 3 days off in laos and spend them in Cambodia in either city im just not sure of the practicalities, for instance ways of getting to either area from southern laos without needing to fly (as flying from cambodia is a bit more than from thailand) ive had a look round but was having a bit of trouble.
    if you have any advice on which would be more worthwhile, or on getting down to either centre from laos that'd be great.

thanks
    Gorey

#1 Posted: 31/5/2007 - 02:17

• Advertisement

• Gorey

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3

sorry, part of that makes no sence:

"for instance ways of getting to either area from southern laos without needing to fly (as flying from cambodia is a bit more than from thailand) ive had a look round but was having a bit of trouble."

i mean i dont want the relativly high cost of a lao airlines flight to either of those cities if i can avoid it, since id be paying more anyway to fly home from cambodia.

#2 Posted: 31/5/2007 - 06:09

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Gorey,

You can get from Si Phan Don (far southern Laos) to Phnom Penh in a day of travel, as long as you leave SPD early. This story on crossing the Laos/Cambodia border explains thes mechanics of it. Once you're in Stung Treng it is a straightforward share-taxi trip to Phnom Penh.

#3 Posted: 1/6/2007 - 14:14

• ernieh

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi Gorey,

The easiset and fastest way is to fly from Pakse, Laos to Siem Reap/Phnom Penh for about $80 with Lao Airlines. The cheaper option is to take the bus from Nakasang (boat landing for Don Dhet Island - 4000 Islands) to Phnom Penh and it cost about $28 and takes 10-12 hours. Travel agents on Don Dhet Island sell OW bus tickets to Phnom Penh and Siem Reap. You can also purchese a bus ticket from Pakse to PP at Pakse Travel (across the street from Nazim Resturant) for $35. The downside to taking the bus is the road on Cambodian side is not very good and you will change mini van/bus 2 or 3 times after you cross the border. This what my friend's experienced on their journey to PP.

Ernie

#4 Posted: 1/6/2007 - 16:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Returning home to winter ... By tolstoy on 6 Oct 2013 6 842 8 Oct 2013