Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Travelling SaPa to Chiang Mai through Laos - Best Route?

• laydeesian

Joined Travelfish
    28th January, 2013

Posted from within Vietnam.

I am travelling from SaPa to Chiang Mai via Luang Prabang next month. I have about 9 days to make the journey (including spending 3-4 days in Luang Prabang) and am considering 2 different options and would like your thoughts on which of these would be best? Or if there is another route you would recommend?

Option 1 - Train from SaPa to Hanoi - fly to Luang Prabang - slow boat to Huay Xai - side trip to Nam Ha NP - bus to Chiang Mai

Option 2 - Bus from SaPa to Dien Bien Phu - bus to Muang Khua - boat to Nong Khiaw - boat to Luang Prabang - fly to Chiang Mai

Option 1 was my original plan but I will have already been to Hanoi before SaPa and am not keen on going back on myself so thought if I could overland from SaPa into Laos it would make a more interesting journey. If I travelled this way I would want to spend a couple of days in Nong Khiaw but would then have to miss out Nam Ha NP and the slow boat on the Mekong due to time. But is the boat trip down the Nam Ou and trekking around Nong Khiaw just as good? And are the buses and boats in my option 2 route reliable as it seems to be less travelled?

Also, I'll be leaving SaPa on 11th/12th Feb, just after the New Year. Will this affect my travel plans at all?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

#1 Posted: 28/1/2013 - 11:22

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'd definitely recommend #2

The boat trip from Muang Khua to Nong Khiaw is great. You can also trek from Muang Khua, though low numbers and fairly "informal".

Some further reading:
    Trekking from NK
    Trekking from LNT (in Nam Ha, this is from a couple of years ago)

Wouldn't expect New Year to be an issue.

#2 Posted: 29/1/2013 - 01:34

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia

Definitely option 2.

#3 Posted: 2/2/2013 - 21:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Best route from Chiang Mai through Laos to Kunming,Yunnan ... By gonganath108 on 2 Apr 2008 1 7164 17 Apr 2008
BKK to BKK circular route (Jan 4th to 24th): BKK-Chiang Mai-Laos-BKK ... By Greatlookinguy on 16 Dec 2012 0 427 16 Dec 2012
Hanoi > Sapa > Laos > Chiang Mai ... By gottagetaway on 21 Jun 2011 2 2996 21 Jun 2011
In Chiang Mai, travelling to Laos in a bit... ... By ange7a on 16 Mar 2012 4 415 23 Mar 2012
Travelling from Chiang Mai to Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia end of Jan to Feb 2011 ... By wajdie on 31 Dec 2010 1 2416 15 Jan 2011