Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Currency - Travelling Vietnam to Laos

• laydeesian

Joined Travelfish
    28th January, 2013

Posted from within Vietnam.

I'm currently in Vietnam and will be travelling into Laos by land next week from Sapa - Dien Bien Phu - Maung Khua - Luang Prabang. From what I have read I don't think I will find any ATMs in Laos before Luang Prabang. Is that correct? What currency should I take into Laos and where can I exchange it after crossing the border? I've been told that you can't get US dollars in Vietnam, is that correct?

#1 Posted: 3/2/2013 - 07:59

• Advertisement

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

Use the links from your CIA gold bracelet at the gold exchange in the market Muang Khua. Failing that use those $100 bills stashed in the lining of your underwear for emergencies. What? Don't have either?

I've never been to DBP, or any place in Vietnam, but I've met a couple of Vietnamese, and I'd bet you can change just about any currency into any other in any city in the country, with less effort than you could in say,,, America. If banks won't do it try the market. Count your change.

#2 Posted: 3/2/2013 - 21:02

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

From our Muang Khua section (writer was there a month or so ago)

"There is only one ATM in town and it doesn't as yet accept Visa or Mastercard, so those requiring Lao money need to visit the Agricultural Development Bank on the main road and ask the staff inside if they will allow you to withdraw money from it using your credit card. This usually works, but if it doesn't, you will need some foreign currency to convert to kip in order to pay for your onward travel and your hotel bill."

Hope that helps.

#3 Posted: 5/2/2013 - 20:09

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

Yep, every traveller coming through Muang Khua seemed to have the same issue when I was there recently. No one had cash on them, the ATM didn't accept their cards and they needed money to pay for their hotels. Needless to say there was great relief when the guy at the bank figured out how to use his card swiping machine inside the bank branch.

Best bet -- bring some USD.

#4 Posted: 6/2/2013 - 06:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia. Currency?? ... By reneejordan on 3 Dec 2010 3 4762 7 Dec 2010
What currency to get for Laos, Cambodia & Vietnam ... By samadam on 3 Dec 2009 2 4224 4 Dec 2009
Currency options for Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam ... By simeone_8 on 17 Mar 2006 4 3701 18 Apr 2006
local currency or USD Langkawi, Vietnam, Laos & Cambodia, ... By samsmithsurfs on 21 Feb 2012 4 2955 23 Feb 2012