Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Currency - Travelling Vietnam to Laos

Posted by laydeesian on 3/2/2013 at 07:59

Posted from within Vietnam.

I'm currently in Vietnam and will be travelling into Laos by land next week from Sapa - Dien Bien Phu - Maung Khua - Luang Prabang. From what I have read I don't think I will find any ATMs in Laos before Luang Prabang. Is that correct? What currency should I take into Laos and where can I exchange it after crossing the border? I've been told that you can't get US dollars in Vietnam, is that correct?

#1 laydeesian has been a member since 28/1/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by somsai on 3/2/2013 at 21:02

Use the links from your CIA gold bracelet at the gold exchange in the market Muang Khua. Failing that use those $100 bills stashed in the lining of your underwear for emergencies. What? Don't have either?

I've never been to DBP, or any place in Vietnam, but I've met a couple of Vietnamese, and I'd bet you can change just about any currency into any other in any city in the country, with less effort than you could in say,,, America. If banks won't do it try the market. Count your change.

#2 somsai has been a member since 1/3/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 567

Posted by somtam2000 on 5/2/2013 at 20:09 admin

From our Muang Khua section (writer was there a month or so ago)

"There is only one ATM in town and it doesn't as yet accept Visa or Mastercard, so those requiring Lao money need to visit the Agricultural Development Bank on the main road and ask the staff inside if they will allow you to withdraw money from it using your credit card. This usually works, but if it doesn't, you will need some foreign currency to convert to kip in order to pay for your onward travel and your hotel bill."

Hope that helps.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by mooball on 6/2/2013 at 06:15 TF writer

Yep, every traveller coming through Muang Khua seemed to have the same issue when I was there recently. No one had cash on them, the ATM didn't accept their cards and they needed money to pay for their hotels. Needless to say there was great relief when the guy at the bank figured out how to use his card swiping machine inside the bank branch.

Best bet -- bring some USD.

#4 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 429
 Where has mooball been?   Twitter   Google+   Instagram 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.