Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Decent hostels in Vientiane

Posted by jamesdueeast on 25/2/2013 at 22:10

Hey,
I'm looking for some decent and highly-recommended hostels in Vientiane ? I've heard horrible reviews of Vientiane Backpackers Hostel and Funky Monkey and they seem to be the only ones bookable online. If I can get names and addresses of others recommended, I don't mind finding them once I get there. I'd like to stay for a couple of days where I can get help and info on booking onward trips to places like Tham Kong Lo caves, Dong Phou Vieng and then onward to Pakse. I'm also looking for a decent night's sleep (if that's possible).

#1 jamesdueeast has been a member since 18/2/2013. Posts: 13

Posted by MADMAC on 25/2/2013 at 23:39

I've heard good things about this place:

http://www.hotelium.com/Hotel/Saysouly_Guest_House.htm

You might want to PM Rufus - he lives out that way.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by svendj on 26/2/2013 at 04:00

I've stayed many times in Mixay Guesthouse, as well as Mixay hotel (rue francois ngin). never had any complaints about it. it's on 'Rue Nokeokoummane' and there are some other guesthouses around that area as well that's I've found really good.
hope it helps.

#3 svendj has been a member since 30/4/2010. Location: Belgium. Posts: 196
 Where has svendj been? 

Posted by JaiYen88 on 27/2/2013 at 18:10

Saysouly is pretty decent, one or two of the staff can be a bit temperamental but the rooms are clean, beds very comfy, price reasonable and location is great. That being said, the street Saysouly is on has a number of other places that might be just as good for the same price or less, but I can't really say cos I was too lazy to look around!

And if it's sleep you're looking for, Vientiane is the place for it! Nothing much going on after midnight, although I did end up at a nightclub on the 5th floor of a hotel once, can't remember the name or where it is though! Try the Belgian beer bar on the riverside some Europeans who live there and they may invite you to join them for a late one somewhere... ;)

#4 JaiYen88 has been a member since 25/4/2012. Posts: 110

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.