Flag of Laos

Laos forum

3 weeks in Laos in June/July

• jrsk42

Joined Travelfish
    17th March, 2013

Hi everyone,

I have a question about travelling in Southeast Asia's wet season.
    I only have 3 weeks for a holiday and haven't been overseas before.. after chatting to a few people and reading a lot on here, I was thinking of spending the whole time in Laos (travelling alone). I'd love to see more of SEA, but don't want to overload myself and miss out on things in Laos. Just have to go back another time! ;)

So basically I'd really appreciate some opinions on whether it is a silly idea to go in the middle of the wet season, particularly for a newbie traveller? Whether it would make more sense to wait a few months until the weather starts clearing up a bit? If you've done it before, do you have any advice?

I don't mind getting wet and I don't intend to go with many plans locked in- just a general idea of where I want to go, so a tight schedule isn't a problem. At the same time though, I don't want to spend most of my time in just one place because of floods/landslides etc.

I'm grateful for any feedback at all, so thanks in advance!

#1 Posted: 17/3/2013 - 23:17

• Advertisement

• JaiYen88

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2012
    Total reviews: 2

Hi there,

If you go in June the rain won't be at its peak for the first part of your trip, as it really starts to pick up in July (in my experience). There are some concerns with travelling in rainy season, like occasionally being stuck inside because of downpours, increased mosquitoes, and sometimes difficulty walking around if a path or street is flooded. For the most part though, the rain doesn't last long and you will still see some sun in June (although it is likely to be grey a lot of the time in July).

The only major thing I would be worried about travelling during rainy season is road conditions - Laos is mountainous and the roads aren't in great condition, and vehicle and driving standards aren't much better. However, you are very unlikely to get into an accident, as long as you avoid overnight bus journeys.

3 weeks is lots of time to explore the country, so were you planning on taking in both Northern and Southern Lao? Do you have any ideas about which places you would like to visit? I can recommend some places if you need any further help!

#2 Posted: 19/3/2013 - 13:53

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

Posted from within Vietnam.

3 weeks in Laos will let you see quite a bit of stuff, but you still won't see it all. The weather shouldn't hamper you too much if you don't mind getting out in it occasionally. I say just go for it see what happens. You definitely won't be meeting too many other travellers in the more remote areas in the wet season which is great if you're looking for a more local experience.

#3 Posted: 24/3/2013 - 22:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
5 weeks Cambodia and Southern Laos Itinerary June / July ... By Anetian on 30 May 2013 3 1455 31 May 2013
25 M UK, Thailand-Cambodia-Laos-Vietnam 6 weeks June-July 2012, looking for travel buddies ... By shervin87 on 9 Mar 2012 11 3307 20 Jun 2013
Thailand for 2 weeks in May/June/July 2013 ... By lisanolan2204 on 10 Aug 2012 5 4029 21 Aug 2012
Trip report - 2 weeks in Cambodia June / July 09 ... By misterwoods on 30 Mar 2010 19 5827 16 Sep 2010
laos in June and July ... By betz_17 on 20 Mar 2006 2 3004 21 Mar 2006
How should I distribute my time in Laos & Vietnam this June & July ... By hofo_mofo on 17 Mar 2010 7 2518 25 Mar 2010
Travelling Northern Thailand and Laos in June/July ... By mrnice88 on 21 Apr 2010 4 2775 19 May 2012
Itinerary Help - 5-6 Weeks in June (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia) ... By plew10 on 22 Mar 2010 4 4789 19 Apr 2013
SE Asia June 25 thru July, departing August 3/4. Hong Kong/Malaysia/Singapore Cambodia/Vietnam/Laos ... By starlitdazzle on 26 May 2009 1 3441 5 Jul 2010
Cycling partner for supported bike tour in Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia: June/July 2014 ... By hmrolstomt on 23 May 2014 8 848 28 May 2014