Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Itinerary Help: 1 week in Laos and Cambodia

• melig

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2013

Hi,
    I am looking to spend a week in Laos and Cambodia in July 2013. I was thinking Luang Prabang and Siem Riep. My initial departure will be out of Bangkok. After I am planning on going to Koh Samui in Thailand. Since I only have a short period of time, I will fly to each location. Does this timeline seem doable? If so, do you have any suggestions whether I should visit Luang Prabang or Siem Riep first?

Thanks for the assistance!

#1 Posted: 22/3/2013 - 22:27

• Advertisement

• ryanm24

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2011
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 27

Hey there,

I had a lot of fun in Siem Reap so if you can go I would definitely recommend it. The Angkor ruins are amazing! Also the night life is fun, there is something for everyone (Angkor What?). Also, I spent about $8 US for a food tour that took around 2 hours it was amazing! The guide took us to the market and we even at some crickets. Luang Prabang was nice but I didnt find much to do beyond the night market and early morning monk ceremony, there are shrines and temples everywhere though if that is your thing. There is an airport in Luang Prabang, I don't know about Siem Reap. As for can you do it in a week, sure you can flash pack it but you will miss a lot of things. It may be better to just pick one?

Anyway, just my two sense. Enjoy.

#2 Posted: 23/3/2013 - 02:47

• melig

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2013

Thanks for the reply. Did you go to Phnom Phen? Maybe I should just do Siem Reap and Phnom Phen?

#3 Posted: 24/3/2013 - 19:09

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

If you only have one week, I think to focus on one country makes more sense (and will probably be a bit cheaper).

A bus trip from SR to PP is about 6 hours - it's an OK busride, comfort-wise, and will give you a glimpse of rural life as you drive by. Spending the time in Cambodia only will give you a slightly more indepth appreciation of Khmer culture rather than a fleeting glimpse of two cultures.

To be fair, I found Siem Reap for more interesting than Luang Prabang.

#4 Posted: 24/3/2013 - 19:21

• ryanm24

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2011
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 27

I spent about 4 days in Phnom Phen it was ok but to be fair I usually do not enjoy the big cities (didnt like Manila or Bangkok either), there are many things to do there though. I was touring Cambodia on an old China Z-Hero motor bike and in the cities the cops harassed me all the time by pulling me over and making me pay fines (bribes). Just outside of Phnom Phen there is a Pagoda where they placed many remains from the Khmer Rogue killings, you can also see one of the killing sites. Its a piece of history that not every body knows about. I also took a tour of the Royal Palace and that was just OK. To be honest it really just depends on what you want to do. If you just want to see many places then flash pack it (stay only 1-2 nights in one place). If there is something specific like culture or history or a party lifestyle that you want to experience let me know and I can give you better directions. One thing I will say is be careful of thieves. I have been all over the world and the only place I have ever had anything stolen from me was in Sihanoukville, Cambodia. Riding my bike and my friend had her purse strings cut by two guys cruising next to us. Literally happened in seconds.

#5 Posted: 24/3/2013 - 22:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Itinerary Help: 1 week in Laos and Cambodia ... By melig on 22 Mar 2013 2 1571 23 Mar 2013
6 Week itinerary for Vietnam, Laos & Cambodia ... By langleym1 on 12 Jan 2013 4 2405 17 Jan 2013
Thailand/Laos/Cambodia 6 week itinerary ... By pascal1980 on 31 Dec 2011 16 5988 2 Nov 2012
Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos 3 week itinerary ... By fionoula on 23 Oct 2009 1 3793 24 Oct 2009
3 week itinerary - Bangkok, Laos and Cambodia ... By corion on 18 Nov 2013 3 1284 29 Nov 2013
3 week itinerary - Bangkok, Laos and Cambodia ... By corion on 18 Nov 2013 3 1013 22 Nov 2013
Help on my five week itinerary through Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, and Cambodia ... By nateyu on 19 Nov 2007 9 5874 20 Dec 2010
Help on my 5 week itinerary: Thailand, Laos, Cambodia (Vietnam) ... By snowowl on 22 Feb 2010 3 2751 23 Feb 2010
Help on my 5 week itinerary: Thailand, Laos, Cambodia (Vietnam) ... By snowowl on 22 Feb 2010 2 4015 26 Feb 2010
itinerary advise for one week in northeastern cambodia to laos ... By malaysiangirl on 15 Dec 2010 4 3014 2 Jan 2011