Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Luang Prabang

• jeeeebus

Joined Travelfish
    9th October, 2011

Hi, I am wanting to travel from Luang Prabang to Huay Xai (Hoksay) to do the 'Gibbon Experience'. Not sure what transport there is. Would appreciate if you have gone this way before you could advise me. I will be there some time in July 2013. Thanks

#1 Posted: 29/3/2013 - 17:58

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Most tourists take the 2-day slow boat upstream to Huay Xai . It costs 200,000 kip (about $25) and leaves every morning at 8am. Buy ticket at the small booth at the top of the boat ramp (100,000 kip to Pakbeng). Boat stops for the night at the small town of Pakbeng which has many guesthouses and restaurants. Day-2 the boat usually arrives at Huay Xai around 5pm and the GibbonX office is on the main road along the river a few minutes walk from the slow boat ramp.

Or take an overnight bus from the northern LP bus station. Buses to Huay Xai (Bokeo) depart at 530pm and 7pm cost 120,000 kip (about $15) and take about 14 hours. Buy the ticket at the bus station, or pay extra to an agent which should include tuk tuk ride to the station.

See http://hobomaps.com/TravelLuangPrabang.html

#2 Posted: 30/3/2013 - 02:36

• jeeeebus

Joined Travelfish
    9th October, 2011

Many Thanks Captain_Bob,
    The slow boat up river sounds like the way to go.. Once again thank you very much. And thanks for the link also

Jeeeebus

#3 Posted: 30/3/2013 - 04:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Flights from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang & Luang Prabang to Hanoi(V'nam)? ... By aussieboonmar on 8 Mar 2006 7 9374 19 Aug 2011