Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Luang Namtha + Muang Sing or Nong Khiaw + Muang Ngoi Neua

• kondrah

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2013

Hello,

we will be in northern from 26 th of april till 4 th of may.

So we have 8 full days there.

We are starting in Huay Xay with Gibbon Expperience (two days/one night).

We were thinking about going to Luang Namtha on 27 th of april. Doing there a trekking (two days/one night) and on 30 th doing one day trip by bike to Muang Sing, back to Luang Namtha same day, and catch a night bus (at 19:00) to Luang Prabang .

Than from 1 st of may, we would have three days in Luang Prabang. On 4 th of may we are heading to southern Laos.

The problem is that recently i've read about trekkings in Nong Khiaw ang Muang Ngoi. And possibility of going to Luang Prabang by boat. It sound really great and i'm not sure if our plan is the best thing we can do on the north:). I heard that this places (Nong Khiaw and Muang Ngoi) and tribes living near them are much untouched than this one near Luang Namtha. I hear opinions that Luang Namtha is very commercialized.

We would like to do some great treks, spend some time in the most untouched (as possible:) villages, and these are our goals.
    Please help us with this hard decision:)
    M.

#1 Posted: 16/4/2013 - 15:56

• Advertisement

• steppingint-
    oasi

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2013

Hi
    Check out my blog www.steppingintoasia.com, I have an itinerary on these
    Cheers Tif

#2 Posted: 17/4/2013 - 04:29

• kondrah

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2013

Thx for reply, but there are on info/opinion about this places:)

#3 Posted: 17/4/2013 - 14:18

• bd7391

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2012

For what you are after (a less commercial trek) id head to nong khiaw and muang ngoi. Luang Namtha has a great tourism infrastructure but its treks are far from raw or untouched... it is very obvious you are visiting commercial tribes which push beer and snacks at you, and the homestays are just a big room at the bottom of the village often. The companies do their best to reuse routes as little as possible but with t, he number of treks och season its inevitable. Saying that, my favourite trek was in LN, not the most authentic but certainly the most fun.

Nong Khiaw is a nice place but Muang Ngoi, a small village about an hour upstream of Muang Ngoi, is the place to trek from. Being in the mountains, you can arrange a guide for yourself or your small group for about $50/3 days who will take you to very remote tribes and villages and prpvide you with lots of information... beware though

#4 Posted: 18/4/2013 - 17:19

• drewdogy

Joined Travelfish
    12th April, 2013

Since we just finished traveling through all of these towns these last couple of weeks, I would just add the following.

If you are looking for 'untouched' villages, these do not really exist in Laos unless you are willing to backpack for several days into very remote regions that are not accessible by road. We just finished a three day trek outside of Phongsali where we were clearly quite an anomaly, but the villages were also not untouched as foreigners had visited previously. I should note that during our trek we did not see one other foreigner, and I believe only a handful of foreigners each year see the villages we saw (more on this to come in another post).

Kondrah, if you are looking for somewhat easily accessible guided trekking that might not involve dishonestly inflated prices, perhaps consider Muang Long? This town sees few travelers and is accessible by bus from Luang Namtha. Check out their website at: http://muanglongtourismoffice.weebly.com/

We were told by one couple that they arranged a four day, three night trek with this company for 1,000,000 kip back in January of this year (2013). However, you might want to call ahead to make sure that all the prices and treks are still the same.

Finally, Muang Ngoi Neua is a wonderful little town. It has a great laid back vibe, and the boat ride up the river is spectacular. The advantage of Muang Ngoi is your ability to do self-guided treks. There are a number of villages nearby that you can hike to and spend the night (if you so desire). A couple of the closer villages even have restaurants!

A few notes of caution about Muang Ngoi. The village now has a road (as of 5 weeks ago) and now has electricity (as of 2 weeks ago). Careful of the long running scam on the road as you exit Muang Ngoi - there is a man who set up a booth and attempts to collect 10,000 kip from every foreigner that passes down the road. His sign states that he collects the money for a local school and that the fee is mandatory, however, we learned from locals and ex-pats working in the town that he keeps the money for himself and the fee is a farce. Most unfortunately, the Lonely Planet lists this fee with question and many foreigners simply pay believing they are contributing to a good cause.

Hope you get this note in time for your trip, and have a good time!

#5 Posted: 24/4/2013 - 23:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Muang Ngoi or Nong Khiaw? ... By JoHe59 on 15 Dec 2006 2 5200 6 Dec 2011
Muang Ngoi to Luang Namtha ... By nikw83 on 7 Dec 2012 2 1421 12 Dec 2012
Luang Namtha/Muang Sing itinerary + LP Wats ... By grishgori on 17 May 2013 4 1375 3 Oct 2013
getting to Luang Namtha /Muang Sing/maybe Huay Xai from Luang Prabang ... By mudgeerambler on 3 Nov 2008 3 5882 3 Nov 2008
Muang Khua - Nong Khiaw - Luang Prabang ... By navilink on 24 Apr 2012 3 3923 19 May 2012
Huai Xai to Muang Sing Via Luang Nam Tha ... By thainel on 17 Aug 2008 3 4601 1 Sep 2008
Transport from Nong Khiaw to Luang Namtha ... By lakyw on 26 Aug 2010 2 4498 27 Dec 2011
Best Lodging in Muang Ngoi ... By callarda on 20 Jun 2010 1 1987 21 Jun 2010
Vang Vieng vs Muang Ngoi ... By Romily on 20 Oct 2008 6 4168 9 Feb 2009
Feedback on Lao Youth Travel Treks in Muang Ngoi ... By callarda on 20 Jun 2010 0 2988 20 Jun 2010