Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Visa: upon arrival or in advance?

• rkmoilan

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2007

How long will it take to get a visa upon arrival in Luang Prabang? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to save some time and get the visa beforehand.

#1 Posted: 24/6/2007 - 02:37

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hey rk,

we were the absolutely last people in line to get our visa on arrival on the lao airlines flight from chiang mai last july. even so, it took only 20 or 30 minutes. i don't know if saving that kind of time is worth the effort for you of arranging the visa beforehand or not. if you do get the visa on arrival, be sure to have the cash fee in US dollars (they will accept baht but at a punishing rate) and a passport sized photo or two. also, be prepared to pay a $1 surcharge if you are arriving outside of normal business/government office hours. i hope that helps. cheers.

#2 Posted: 25/6/2007 - 12:13

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

i just saw somtam's posting that some tourists are being denied entry into thailand if they cannot prove onward travel out of thailand (e.g. to laos, etc) within the next 30 days. getting the visa to laos ahead of time may help you prove to thai immigration authorities that you'll be departing within 30 days.

#3 Posted: 25/6/2007 - 12:17

• Gorey

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3

i was going through immigration and visa on arrival things for around an hour and a half at luang prabang airport 2 weeks ago, but wasnt too bad.

and in a bit of a responce to exacto, i took the vientiane-nong khai bus when leaving and was on with a columbian couple, who had yet to arrange a flight home (or elsewhere from thailand) and were not told they'd been denyed entry, just aggressivly told to get their bags off the bus and get onto a shuttle bus and return to lao, their lao visa had jus excpired so its was all a big hassle for them, so yea if that would help avoid that and get one in advance it could help, there were an awful lot of foreigners around the bridge on the lao side that couldnt get into thailand.

#4 Posted: 30/6/2007 - 18:27

• travelguy

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2007

I will be travelling from Vinh in Vietnam, to Thailand via CauTreo(Kaew Neua) in Laos, entering thailand through the Thakhek/NakhonPhanom border crossing. Does anyone know if I can obtain a visa at CauTreo...I hear that all international border crossings can provide one....as opposed to gettting one in Hanoi etc.... also, can I get a multiple entry visa as well? thanx

#5 Posted: 4/7/2007 - 22:15

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

The next time I go to Lao I will be getting a visa before I go as the last time I waited at the border for one and it was intensely hot! lol :)

Even paying a few baht more to the tuk tuk driver for a visa would of been better than waiting in that heat.

#6 Posted: 8/7/2007 - 21:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.