Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Tiger Trails - Elephant Park Experience

• ilovebdt

Joined Travelfish
    24th June, 2007

Hi

Has anyone done the 2 day elephant park trip with Tiger Trails out of Luang Prabang?

http://tigertrail.travity.de/travels/travel.asp?t=C0A103C1-112A-490A-9ACA-B346AD8F1AA2

How was your experience? Was it worth the money?

ilovebdt

#1 Posted: 24/6/2007 - 12:24

• Advertisement

• jennipa

Joined Travelfish
    15th June, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

When are you going, as I'll be there next month and am thinking about this also. The words "baby elephant" on the website just hooked me in....
    I can let you know about it after I go, but that might be a bit late for your trip.

#2 Posted: 25/6/2007 - 06:28

• ilovebdt

Joined Travelfish
    24th June, 2007

Hi

I am not looking to go on this trip till Spet/October time, so it'd be great if you could give me your opinion on the trip.
    My friend was in Laos earlier this month and she went on the eephant hike with Toger Trails and met the baby elephant at the park. He or she is a real cutie who loves bananas.

Thanks a lot for your help!

ilovebdt

#3 Posted: 25/6/2007 - 06:33

• redmatt

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2007

Tiger Trails was wonderful & worth the money. It is a couple dollars more expensive than others, but I felt as if the elephants were well treated. The baby elephant is especially cute. We did a 1/2 day elephant trip. I am working on a Luang Prabang blog which I hope to post soon.

#4 Posted: 30/6/2007 - 04:35

• maleewan_th

Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2007

Lan Chang = million of elephants ====> Laos
    Lan Na = million of rice fields ====> Northern of Thailand
    From Maleewan

#5 Posted: 4/7/2007 - 11:15

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Hi ilovebdt
    Not sure if this helps, but if you happened to head to thailand my wife and i had a great experience staying with the elephants march 2007.We headed to ayutthya( 2 hrs nth bangkok)were we spent 3 days at elephant stay.www.elephantstay.com.this is a non profit place were they look after retired elephants and you get to immerse yourself feeding ,washing,riding the retired female elephants.you stay at the kraal which has a nursery with heaps of babies watching them play etc.this is also a working kral were the mahouts train the male elephants for the rides in the town proper so you get to enjoy life amongst these great friendly people.all up a fantastic rewarding experience,not cheap but all money goes toward food medicine etc.hope this helps yourself or anyone else
    regards
    swag

#6 Posted: 4/7/2007 - 12:10

• Red

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2006

Hi ilovedbt,

I went to "elephantstay" in January of this year and it was fantastic. Some people hate the idea that you are riding the elephants, but the elephants really enjoy it as they aren't dstanding around all day doing nothing and getting bored. You actually ride with them down to the river and go swimming with them and then back to feed them adn to take care of them. It is a non-profit organisation managed by two Aussie girls, one and artist from Melbourne and the other used to work for the Royal Melbourne zoo.
    The kraal has a lot of history attached to it and you can learn all about this also. While we where there we also got to witness a once in a lifetime event when a couple of elepants mated. The Mahouts are just fantastic people who really care about their elephants ,and the baby elephants are just so funny to watch, they really are like little children.
    You can stay there which includes accomodation, food, and the care and pleasure of being with the elephants. Swag is right, it's not cheap but it is worth the experience and the money goes towards the upkeep and the running the place.
    One experience that I'll remember for the rest of my life.
    Red.

#7 Posted: 5/7/2007 - 12:00

• maleewan_th

Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2007

Hi,
    Do you know where is the wild elephants in Laos..I saw a lot in jungle of Xaiyaburi you can go by boat from Pakbeng village and then stop at Ban Thaxoang or Ban Thanoun ...It's a village along Mekong river after Pakbeng and then you take car to Hongsa....You will see a wild elephants and some it's work for carry wood ....It's not the elephants for circus or to show off for tourist
    Maleewan

#8 Posted: 5/7/2007 - 14:27

• jallix

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2007

Hey,

I did the half day "trek" thing rather than the 2 day one, and while the actual elephant ride was kind of .. the novelty wore off after a little while, and was more like a trail ride with bored elephants.. I don't regret going at all.

As redmatt said, the elephants seemed to be treated well, and had been rescued from exploitative situations - I don't mind paying extra to support groups like this.

The baby elephant, who is 3 years old now, apparently, made the whole thing worthwhile. He was so, so beautiful, and was standing around near where we had to wait at the entrance thing, so we were able to hang around patting him etc. In fact, I would pay $25 again, just to be able to see him and play with him! I would have been happy to do that for a few hours, and forego the rest of the day, haha.

#9 Posted: 7/7/2007 - 21:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Patara Elephant Farm or Elephant Nature Park, Chiang Mai?? ... By mlr on 13 Nov 2009 4 6542 26 Nov 2009
Tiger Trails ... By Intrepid82 on 23 Jul 2009 2 1704 23 Jul 2009
tiger trails.. any good ?? ... By muskey on 22 Mar 2012 0 829 22 Mar 2012
Laos - 3 weeks with Tiger Trails ... By derek_j_buchanan on 17 Dec 2009 0 1695 17 Dec 2009
Elephant Nature Park ... By JenW on 11 Jan 2009 11 4507 24 Jan 2010
Elephant Nature Park- Chiang Mai ... By adbeats06 on 6 Nov 2013 3 1017 11 Nov 2013
The ELephant Nature Park, Chiang Mai ... By somtam2000 on 9 Sep 2010 0 2093 9 Sep 2010
Elephant nature park vs trekking ... By Arigato9 on 26 Sep 2012 1 1532 26 Sep 2012
Elephant Park Project - a reason to stay another day ... By marakusch on 4 Apr 2007 1 2921 7 Apr 2007
Are you volunteering at Elephant Nature Park w/c 2nd July 12 ... By lilymissfun on 22 Jun 2012 4 1495 3 Jul 2012