Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Luang Namtha/Muang Sing itinerary + LP Wats

• grishgori

Joined Travelfish
    4th May, 2013

I'm arriving to Luang Namtha somewhere in mid-end September this year and I'm planning on spending 5 days in LN and MS combined
    In Luang Namtha I'm looking for spending about 2 days in the NPA which would leave me 3 days for the villages located around Muang Sing
    Question is - are the villages around MS doable independently(bicycle+map) or taking an organized trek through an agency is a must? also I would like to travel along and watch the Chinese border how are the sights around there and is there an easy way to reach it?

Also as a part of the trip I'm planning on going for a half day/full day visit around the Wats in Luang Prabang and I've read there's 32 of them , are they closed to one another and which are the must see wats?

Thanks in advance !

#1 Posted: 17/5/2013 - 07:08

• Advertisement

• erohisms

Joined Travelfish
    17th March, 2013

We did it on our own a few months ago and had a great time. If you can rent a motorbike, head up to Muang Sing and stay at Adima Guesthouse, which is a five minute walk from the nearest minority village. The most interesting thing about the Chinese border is the amount of trucks heading there from Laos, loaded with trees.

Our trip report is here with more details: http://erohisms.com/northern-laos-the-land-of-limestone-cliffs-calm-rivers-ethnic-minority-groups-and-insane-roads/

#2 Posted: 25/5/2013 - 06:05

• grishgori

Joined Travelfish
    4th May, 2013

The report looks awesome - exactly what I was looking for
    I've got a concern though - how hard/possible was talking with the village locals without the help of a guide/translator? the phrasebook was enough? Also the chinese border has some nice scenery or it isn't worth the visit?

As a part of the trip to northern laos ill be heading for 4 days in nong khiaw and muang ngoi will they suffice?

#3 Posted: 6/6/2013 - 14:29

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

#3:
    mid-Sept is rainy season. be prepared for delays if there are landslides along roads, though these days they are cleared relatively quickly. & expect muddy conditions (& maybe leeches) on treks. for many in the villages in that area, Akha (or Yao, Tai Lue, Tai Dam, Khmu, etc) is their first language, Lao is at most a second language for those (usually younger people) who had the chance to go to school. some near the border might speak a bit of 'market Mandarin'.

#2:
    beautiful photos! btw the trucks heading to China in the photo are loaded with sugarcane stems, not timber. but of course, large areas of forests were cleared to make way for sugarcane plantations. saw large areas of sugarcane planted for export to China in other border areas too, like Ou Tai district in Phongsaly. & on the Mekong one will see large boats laden with timber heading upriver to China: http://laomeow.blogspot.com/2010/02/311206-pak-beng-timber.html

#1:
    the more famous & well-visited wats in LPB are concentrated in the central area, within walking distance. these are what most consider the top two must-sees for the art & architecture:
    1. Wat Xieng Thong (most would say that if you only visit one, this should be it)
    2. Wat Mai
    i visited many more & some repeatedly over a few trips cos i have a particular interest in Buddhist/Tai/Lao art & architecture, but for most people, just a few of the 30+ should be enough, so that each of the few will stand out as highlights in your trip, rather than your day becoming a weary blur of wat-after-wat-after-wat...to me, LPB is also about exploring the little alleys & quieter side streets between the many wats, the markets, the other side of the two rivers, etc.

have a look at the maps on hobomaps.com - there's more to LPB than just the central tourist area (maps there might give you ideas for your LNT & MS plans too).

#4 Posted: 21/6/2013 - 10:19

• boleslav

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2009
    Total reviews: 5

can you post back your experiences, notes etc, we are planning to do the similar itinerary?
    thank you

#5 Posted: 3/10/2013 - 17:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Luang Namtha + Muang Sing or Nong Khiaw + Muang Ngoi Neua ... By kondrah on 16 Apr 2013 4 2219 24 Apr 2013
getting to Luang Namtha /Muang Sing/maybe Huay Xai from Luang Prabang ... By mudgeerambler on 3 Nov 2008 3 5965 3 Nov 2008
Huai Xai to Muang Sing Via Luang Nam Tha ... By thainel on 17 Aug 2008 3 4690 1 Sep 2008
Muang Ngoi to Luang Namtha ... By nikw83 on 7 Dec 2012 2 1553 12 Dec 2012
Itinerary Advice: Luang Prabang, Luang Namtha & Phongsali ... By jeanne1307 on 30 Oct 2013 2 1270 3 Nov 2013
Muang Sing ... By gracetandil on 31 Aug 2009 9 5103 15 Sep 2009
Huay Xai, to Muang Sing ... By wombatfuz on 25 Jan 2010 4 4280 6 Feb 2010
Muang Sing changed ... By Pjotra on 18 Dec 2013 2 555 19 Dec 2013
An Essay on Muang Sing ... By christay2009 on 12 Dec 2009 0 2534 12 Dec 2009
Does anyone know a guesthouse in Muang Sing ... By katikaml on 7 Jan 2012 0 999 7 Jan 2012