Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Tha Kek Loop

• jeeeebus

Joined Travelfish
    9th October, 2011

Recently read some not so good reviews on the travel lodge and Mr Ku's bike hire. Was recommended that a Mr Wang Wangs rental service was cheaper and offered a better quality bike. Has anyone been there lately and can advise as will be in Laos early july

#1 Posted: 19/5/2013 - 23:39

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Our coverage of the ThaKhaek loop was updated very recently, also have some general pointers on doing the loop outlined here. Nothing specific about bike hire though sorry.

#2 Posted: 21/5/2013 - 17:49

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

I recently rode bikes from two different places including Mr Ku. I also checked out Wang Wang's bikes. In short, Mr Ku's *look* better and cost about twice as much as Wang Wang's. If you're on a tight budget, forget Mr. Ku. If you want a little bit more security, go to Mr. Ku and pay a little extra for something that may be better - or may just be more expensive. If I was going again, I would skip Mr. Ku not because he was bad, but because I'd be looking to save a bit of cash.

Whatever the case, the roads in part are bad and the bikes are made for those conditions. They will definitely break after a while and you might be the unlucky one to be on the bike at the time.

The other thing is that Mr Ku is located at Traveler's Lodge which is a long long walk from anything else in town. Again, my advice would be to avoid Traveler's Lodge and find something closer to the river. The whole place has some sort of mythical reputation that I don't quite understand. One thing you will get that you don't get anywhere else is LOTS of other travellers who have been on the loop so you'll be able to ask questions about what to see and what not see. You'll also get to read the guestbook in which hundreds of people have written of their experiences.

At the end of the day, if you're a bit of an adventure traveller and not one of those backpackers who sticks to the well-worn tourist trail, you should be find going do Wang Wang, getting a bike and hitting the road without so much as a hand drawn map.

#3 Posted: 18/6/2013 - 04:11

• jeeeebus

Joined Travelfish
    9th October, 2011

Well thank-you Mooball for being so helpful, I shall take your advice and see what happens should be an adventure if nothing else.
    Once again very much appreciated

#4 Posted: 18/6/2013 - 04:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.