Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Luang Prabang to Vientiane- The truth about Vang Vieng

• misstahlia

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2012

Hi all

I will be visiting Laos in August, coming overland from Chiang Rai. I will have approx 11 nights as I have a flight out of Vientiane.
    So want to use my time wisely as this is my last stop before heading to KL to home (Australia).

So thinking Luang Prabang seems to be where I want to spend the most time in. I am thinking 4 nights. I do want an honest opinion on the trek over the border from Thailand. Will I need to make a pit stop for the night, or is it a straight journey from Thai border to LP?
    I dont mind doing the whole trek in one go...

I was going to skip Vang Vieng. Reason being I am not into the party scene at all. I know that the place may be beautiful, but I dont like the thought of being surrounded by young backpackers drinking during the day and taking substances and tubing wasted. I would rather spend my time else where. But honestly am i stereotyping the place? I am 26 years old and it is just not my scene that's all (a bit of a health freak some would say, my party days are behind me).

My last stop is Vientiane. Where i would like to spend 3 nights. Obviously I have a few spare nights. But I can spread this time elsewhere on my trip. But the pro in stopping in VV is breaking up the journey from LP to Vientiane.

What are everyone's thoughts?

Appreciate it.

#1 Posted: 7/6/2013 - 09:59

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Man the word "trek" is really being used for just about any movement at all now.

You don't need to decide how long you are going to spend at one place now. Where are you going to do your border crossing? You didn't specify, but I get the impression it will be somewhere north of Vientiane. Out of Nan province?

Assuming Luang Prabang is your first city after crossing and then you are heading south, you can stop in VV and if you don't like it, the next day move on. Perhaps you'll get to Luang Prabang and like it so much you spend all 11 days there. I mean, there's no reason to make that decision now.

#2 Posted: 7/6/2013 - 11:54

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

"trek over the border from Thailand. Will I need to make a pit stop for the night, or is it a straight journey from Thai border to LP?"

Get a local bus from Chiang Rai to Chiang Khong, 2.5 hours going every 30 minutes. The border (river crossing to Huay Xai ) is open 8am-6pm. Boat costs 50 baht, then get your Laos visa at the Immigration building on arrival (Aussies pay $30USD but with Thai baht they charge more). There is a currency exchange window in the same building and two ATMs at the top of the boat ramp. Independent travellers tend to get hassled to buy a ticket on the spot, but just decide which way you want to go and get a tuk tuk to the relevant point and buy the ticket directly at the pier/station.

From Huay Xai your options to Luang Prabang are 1) Slow boat 220,000 Lao Kip, 2 days, overnight halfway in Pakbeng town, 2) Speed boat around 1500 baht, 7 hours including a lunch stop at Pakbeng, or 3) Bus 120,000 Kip, about 14 hours to Luang Prabang.

More info here

As for Vang Vieng, stop for a day or two and decide if it's your cup of tea. Whatever party scene is easily avoided. Focus on the positives. The road between LP and VV is very scenic.

#3 Posted: 7/6/2013 - 12:59

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

From what I understand, the party scene in VV has been cleaned up for the most part. I'm a slightly older traveler who avoids the party crowds and I'd now consider stopping off if I were going through now where as I did avoid it 2 years ago.

From LP you could consider Nong Khiaow but decide as you go. Also I liked Vientiane so think that 3 nights there is a good move.

I agree with MM, you don't need to over plan now.

#4 Posted: 7/6/2013 - 14:28

• bascanvas

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2011

We have just been in VV, i would definitely go there again, we loved it, and we are 40, not there to party.
    The surroundings are so beautifull, and as capt Bob stated, you can easily avoid the party, which is hardly there anymore. You see an older crowd there already, peole who just want to enjoy the scenery. We only saw one guy really drunk, saw more of them in Vientiane, you don't see all the "happy" signs anymore, the place is changing fast, and for the better.

We also tubed, which was really relaxed in beautifull surroundings. Only one bar still remains along the river, which you don't have to stop at.

Get a cheap motorbike for the day and explore the countrysde, you won't regret it, if it's within you budget you should also consider the hot air balloon ride ($80), such a nice view from up there.

#5 Posted: 7/6/2013 - 18:11

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Which does beg the question where is the party scene going to move to? Down south or out of Laos altoegther and stay in Thailand? I'll be curious to see where this goes. I know a place between That Phanom and Mukdahan that has a scene like this but it's all young Thais. Right on the river. I wonder...

#6 Posted: 8/6/2013 - 00:02

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Wherever the "New Vang Vieng " is, one of the requirements is it has to be relatively convenient to get to and not too far off the banana pancake trail. That pretty much disqualifies most of Isaan. I thought it might be Don Det once they got 24-hour electricity, but even that is too far off the "SE Asia in five weeks" gap-year kid circuit. Pai was once a contender and it fulfills another requirement of having a user-friendly river running through it, but it's not really a drinking party vibe and it goes dead quiet after around 9pm. Also new construction is tightly controlled and it would be nearly impossible to put in some river bars but I have done self-made group tubing on the river. Anyway, I think many of the "tubing" party crowd will simply skip Laos as there is now "nothing to do" there. I previously had countless young people arriving here in Chiang Mai with only one question: "How do I get to Vang Vieng as quickly as possible?" but that has died out and instead it's "How do I get to Ko Phangan as quickly as possible?" Had Rin FMP etc. is still the de facto party spot for that crowd, and unlike V V the local authorities have not seen the wisdom of cracking down or otherwise controlling it.

#7 Posted: 8/6/2013 - 08:48

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I'm also thinking FMP will dominate that kind of scene too. It has to be somewhere, because there is money to be made in it. You are probably right that the place I am thinking of (I should take a video of it - it's called Kaeng Ka Bao) is not on the way to anywhere or from anywhere (which is why no backpackers come to Muk - or almost no). But it would fill the bill and I could see some enterprising guys developing what's already there. Especially with guesthouses already available in That Phanom, a stones throw away.

#8 Posted: 8/6/2013 - 12:07

• misstahlia

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2012

Hi all,

Appreciate all of your replies. I guess I could use the word Journey instead of trek?! :)

Captain Bob- that was a great reply on the border crossing. So detailed and helpful! I am coming from Chiang Rai, sorry should have specified that in the first post.

Yeah I agree. I don't want to over plan but as I do have a flight out, I did want a fair idea on where to spend my time. And by the sounds of it, I would be silly to miss VV. I am happy that the scene has died down there. And I can avoid it anyway as was mentioned. So I will be adding VV into my trip. And as you say- i can move on if it is not my cup of tea!

Thanks again.

#9 Posted: 10/6/2013 - 04:28

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Have a great trip. Let us know how it goes. Always nice to get feedback.

#10 Posted: 10/6/2013 - 08:35

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Transport - Vientiane / Vang Vieng / Luang Prabang ... By ruthmoore on 18 Nov 2007 5 13086 26 Aug 2010
Landslide Delaying Bus Travel Vientiane/Vang Vieng - Luang Prabang ... By wanderingcat on 23 Aug 2011 3 3094 5 Sep 2011
Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng ... By NEILEIO on 29 Aug 2008 2 5104 1 Sep 2008
Night Bus from Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang ... By aik_yong2002 on 16 Jul 2012 3 4394 23 Jul 2012
Place between Vang Vieng and Luang Prabang ... By Lars on 11 Oct 2007 5 4984 17 Oct 2007
Hire a driver luang prabang to vang vieng ... By 21days on 17 Dec 2009 0 4703 17 Dec 2009
Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang - Minivan Hire ... By dclayw on 23 Jul 2009 7 6328 24 Jul 2009
Bus from Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng with 2 kids - need advice ... By alainj on 2 Jul 2010 1 4464 2 Jul 2010
Hanoi to Vientiane via Luang Prabang and Vang Veing ... By southafrican on 31 Oct 2008 0 2806 31 Oct 2008
Luang Prabang to Vientiane the long way round (ie avoiding Vang Viieng) ... By KirstyB on 27 Nov 2011 3 1462 8 Dec 2011