Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Money

• L100

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2013

Hey,

I'll be traveling for two months a little bit in Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia. How much money, Dollars, do you suppose i should be bringing in cash other than a credit card which i prefer not using ATMs so much, and i hope to spend an average amount of money all together.
    Did any of you have experience with copying your credit card info during a purchase transaction- would love to get some safety tips.

#1 Posted: 25/6/2013 - 09:31

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

My rule is never to send cr card details by email or phone. If a hotel wants this info, I tell them to either use Paypal or I use a service like Agoda. I use my debit card at local ATM's (Laos is a little harder than the other countries - you have to hunt for an ATM that accepts international cards). I dislike carrying quantities of cash, because I am forgetful.

You are the one who has to do the math - depends on your style of travel, etc. I currently budget about $65.-80. a day for the region. Thai is slightly more than Indochina - I believe Vietnam to be the cheapest (I am a flashpacker).

#2 Posted: 25/6/2013 - 12:58

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

"you have to hunt for an ATM that accepts international cards"
    This is not correct. There are very few ATMs which do not accept international cards. Be aware however, that ATMs in Lao do charge a fee. and this can get expensive as withdrawals are limited - 2 million Kip at the ANZ ATM for example, will cost 40,000 Kip.
    Copying credit card details is not a problem in Lao - yet.

#3 Posted: 27/6/2013 - 18:20

• L100

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2013

#4 Posted: 30/6/2013 - 14:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.