Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Western New Years in Laos

Posted by peachiest99 on 14/7/2007 at 16:43

I am planning to make the Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang trip, via the HuayXui border over the 31st of Dec (New Years Eve) and I am wondering if this will be a problem with the border or the organising of bus/boats. Has anyone had any experience with things being closed on New Years Eve or Day?

#1 peachiest99 has been a member since 11/6/2007. Posts: 6

Posted by wanderingcat on 14/7/2007 at 22:45

travelled from Pak Beng to Huay Xai on 31st Dec 2006 & crossed from Huay Xai to Chiang Khong on 1st Jan 2007, no problem with boats nor immigration.

#2 wanderingcat has been a member since 21/10/2006. Posts: 730
 Where has wanderingcat been?   Website 

Posted by somsai on 15/7/2007 at 09:55

Luang Prabang is extremely busy for Western New years. Two days before I had a difficult time finding a room, and all rooms were double priced for the holidays. I was in Phongsali for the actual day of New Years and it seemed as if the holiday was being celebrated on the day and night rather than the eve, as in Western tradition.

#3 somsai has been a member since 1/3/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 568

Posted by paulsuzanne on 31/7/2007 at 03:37

On 1st Jan 2006 and 2007, we crossed the Lao-Thai border (Savannakhet->Mukdahan) by ferry-boat. The 2 times, the time-table was exceptional. The emigration was very slow, as the custom-officers ware influanced by the reveillon-drinks!

#4 paulsuzanne has been a member since 28/2/2006. Posts: 4

Posted by Discombobulated on 31/7/2007 at 08:51

You name it, the Lao will celebrate it.

Tai Dam New Year, Hmong New Year, Falang New Year, Chinese New Year, Tet and Lao New Year. All that before you throw in any of the other Buddhist festivals!

The only one that's an official holiday is Lao New Year. The whole country basically closes down for a week or two for that. As paulsuzanne note however, Lao people do their best for international peace, harmony and understanding by celebrating everyone else's New Years holiday as well (getting into a suitable celebratory spirit - such as Lao Lao, Johnny Red, etc, etc)

#5 Discombobulated has been a member since 16/6/2007. Posts: 9

Posted by chanhla on 2/8/2007 at 02:00

I am also going at tat same time. Are you going to the gibbon experience?

#6 chanhla has been a member since 2/8/2007. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.