Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Western New Years in Laos

• peachiest99

Joined Travelfish
    11th June, 2007

I am planning to make the Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang trip, via the HuayXui border over the 31st of Dec (New Years Eve) and I am wondering if this will be a problem with the border or the organising of bus/boats. Has anyone had any experience with things being closed on New Years Eve or Day?

#1 Posted: 14/7/2007 - 16:43

• Advertisement

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

travelled from Pak Beng to Huay Xai on 31st Dec 2006 & crossed from Huay Xai to Chiang Khong on 1st Jan 2007, no problem with boats nor immigration.

#2 Posted: 14/7/2007 - 22:45

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

Luang Prabang is extremely busy for Western New years. Two days before I had a difficult time finding a room, and all rooms were double priced for the holidays. I was in Phongsali for the actual day of New Years and it seemed as if the holiday was being celebrated on the day and night rather than the eve, as in Western tradition.

#3 Posted: 15/7/2007 - 09:55

• paulsuzanne

Joined Travelfish
    28th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 15

On 1st Jan 2006 and 2007, we crossed the Lao-Thai border (Savannakhet->Mukdahan) by ferry-boat. The 2 times, the time-table was exceptional. The emigration was very slow, as the custom-officers ware influanced by the reveillon-drinks!

#4 Posted: 31/7/2007 - 03:37

• Discombobul-
    ated

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2007

You name it, the Lao will celebrate it.

Tai Dam New Year, Hmong New Year, Falang New Year, Chinese New Year, Tet and Lao New Year. All that before you throw in any of the other Buddhist festivals!

The only one that's an official holiday is Lao New Year. The whole country basically closes down for a week or two for that. As paulsuzanne note however, Lao people do their best for international peace, harmony and understanding by celebrating everyone else's New Years holiday as well (getting into a suitable celebratory spirit - such as Lao Lao, Johnny Red, etc, etc)

#5 Posted: 31/7/2007 - 08:51

• chanhla

Joined Travelfish
    2nd August, 2007

I am also going at tat same time. Are you going to the gibbon experience?

#6 Posted: 2/8/2007 - 02:00

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.