Laos forum

'cinema porridge' in Vientiane

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

'cinema porridge' is my nickname for the bunch of food stalls that used to sprout up early in the morning at the foyer of the former Viengsamay cinema along Chao Anou Rd. there was a stall selling pork porridge with pa-thong-ko (you2 tiao2 / Chinese fried dough fritters), one doing coffee, another offering banh cuon, & a fourth with khao piak (sen). more than 3 years since i last ate there...heard that the place is now gone...anyone knows where these stalls have relocated to? or of other similar early morning street food stalls in Vientiane?

#1 Posted: 30/7/2013 - 07:35

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Rufus ought to know. Might try sending him a PM.

#2 Posted: 30/7/2013 - 11:51

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

The place is gone. There are plenty of food stalls in the area though, (Sihom). The dish to which you are referring is called Jok.

#3 Posted: 4/8/2013 - 20:11

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Jok (or Joke) - My daughter and wife eat this crap for breakfast all the time. Definitely not my first choice - or even 100th.

#4 Posted: 4/8/2013 - 23:01

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 67

thank you. know that the place is gone, just wondering where the stalls have moved to...or have they all hung up their aprons...? the guy running the porridge stall was a nice character, still have a photo taken together with him. do the other food stalls in the area open at ~6am too? had the impression that the stalls around the Home Ideal store popped up only much later in the day.

yup know that the name is 'jok'. grew up knowing this dish by this name (am SE asian chinese). btw 'jok' is a cantonese word & one of the many chinese dialect food names that the thai & lao adopted. adding century egg/khai yeow maa to jok (how i usually eat it) will push it way down to 1000th place in MADMAC's rankings...even most thai & lao i know won't touch khai yeow maa :P

#5 Posted: 5/8/2013 - 09:24

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Most places have moved to the side of the street in Sihom.
    I love Jok and have it for breakfast bout 3x a week. It keeps me going till lunch.

#6 Posted: 5/8/2013 - 20:12

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"I love Jok and have it for breakfast bout 3x a week. It keeps me going till lunch."

Have you noticed that we don't share the same tastes in food?

#7 Posted: 6/8/2013 - 00:23

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

I thought it was jok in Thai, kao piak kao, in Lao? Best is Jok talay (seafood) in Tland.

#8 Posted: 6/8/2013 - 22:57

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 67

just back from VTE. the shell of the disused cinema is still there, but didn't find out where those stalls have moved to...the people along that part of the street at that time of the day were mainland Chinese who've taken over the shop units in the area, & so they don't (care to) know.

on the other hand, found a similar place just north of Khua Din market along Nongbone Rd, directly opposite the main entrance of the Ministry of Interior. a shophouse unit with stoves doing johk/khao piak khao + pathongko, khai katha, etc out front.

#8:
    hear both terms used in Laos, & seen some stalls with the word 'johk' written in Lao script.

#9 Posted: 15/9/2013 - 10:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.