Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Laos again and again

• FGeilenkirc-
    hen

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2008

Hi
    i plan my 4th trip to Laos after a travel in the south (4000 Islands) Slow Boat to Thailand , Vientiane Luang Prabang , Plain of Jars,
    I missed only central Laos ( Thakhek) and Nong Khiaw .Any suggestions?
    But i have only two weeks this year.
    thanks

#1 Posted: 7/9/2013 - 11:52

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

With two weeks you could do something like Luang Prabang - Nong Kiaow - Muang Ngoi - Muang Khua - Udomxai - Luang Nam Tha - Huay Xai & exit.

That gives you plenty of boat time and you could do some trekking from Muang Khua or Nam Tha should that be of interest - Gibbons between LNT and Huay Xai.

Actually, I'd reverse that, start at Huay Xai -- that was you'll be going downriver to LPQ :-)

Cheers

#2 Posted: 7/9/2013 - 12:24

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

I would recommend Nong Khiaw and Muang Ngoi and other Northern Laos if you have already seen 4000 islands(main attraction of the south imo) and especially if you have seen Pakse /Bolaven Plateau.

Thakhek imo is lacking, Konglor was interesting but between Konglor and Pakse I found little of interest. Up north the scenery is much better and a different cultural feel seeing how they live on the river etc.

#3 Posted: 7/9/2013 - 12:25

• LaoLover

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013

Agree with somtam - the boat trip between Huay Xai and Luang Prabang is really nice. Downriver probably makes more sense, but we did it going upstream to Huay Xai and it was easy, and maybe less crowded that way.
    I hear great things about the caves around Thakek and have been wanting to check it out, so that should go on the list. You might have already been up in this area, but there's a wildlife-spotting river trip called Nam Nern that was a lot of fun namet.org/namnern. We'd read it about it online, but did it a couple of weeks ago and got to see some animals, and it was a really pretty part of the country, and it's to the east of Nong Khiaw.
    Nong Khiaw itself is definitely in a stunning setting, but it sounds like you've seen some karst in your time. I thought Nong Khiaw was pretty, but there wasn't a lot to do and so I'm glad we kept going into other areas.
    Have a great time on trip #4!

#4 Posted: 7/10/2013 - 02:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.