Flag of Laos

Laos forum

When best to visit Luang Prabang within November - February period?

• EdwardTrunk

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2013

To visit Luang Prabang specifically, I'm trying to choose a month between November and February inclusive, thinking about weather and crowded periods and any festivals.

What should I bear in mind in choosing when to visit during this period? How do these 4 months vary in this part of Laos? Any periods to avoid?

#1 Posted: 10/9/2013 - 03:36

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I don't know about other months, but I've been to LP twice in late Nov with beautiful weather (last year w/a little PM rain) - not too crowded

#2 Posted: 10/9/2013 - 11:09

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Doesn't really matter, weather should be good all during that time. Cools down a little bit in December(still plenty warm though) and then warms back up. No really rainy periods although Nov could have the odd shower. No festivals of real note during this time(New Years but doesn't have much for celebration).

Dec and Jan are I believe the peak tourist season. I arrived around new years and people were having a hard time finding a room.

I personally would probably shoot for Nov or early Dec.

#3 Posted: 10/9/2013 - 11:30

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Same as daawgon, found LP to be very pleasant in November, high 20s and I got no rain. Also not too crowded and had our pick of guesthouses.

It's a great place to relax for at least a week as it is very tranquil - coffee by the Mekong, great sunsets, found the food to be superb as well. Some great out of town trips as well - including elephant riding (pay the extra and go with the ethical company) and a very nice waterfall.

#4 Posted: 10/9/2013 - 11:31

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

November would be the quietest of those months, but you may catch the tail end of rainy season. Weather-wise January is usually the sweet spot, but it can be pretty crowded, especially just after new year. February is nice too but you may get the start of hazy season once the farmers get busy burning their fields. I would avoid the Christmas/NY period and go either November or late-January.

#5 Posted: 11/9/2013 - 02:46

• EdwardTrunk

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2013

Thanks very much everyone. That's been very helpful.

#6 Posted: 11/9/2013 - 04:09

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007

Don't miss Kwang Si Waterfall or the pizza at Scandinavian Bakery - best in SE Asia!

#7 Posted: 11/9/2013 - 10:48

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

the 2 big festivals (though not as big as Pi Mai Lao) during that time period are:

1. Hmong New Year
    dates vary by the year, but usually in the first half of December. main venue (with the song & dance contests, & the pageant - if they can get enough contestants) rotates between the various Hmong villages of LPB, though there will always be festivities held at Ban Khouatineung (not far out of LPB city centre along HWY 13 in direction of Vientiane).

2. Boun Pha Vet
    dates vary by the year, usually late Jan or early Feb depending on the Buddhist/lunar calendar.

#8 Posted: 15/9/2013 - 10:18

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I went in late January back in 2008 and it was really pleasent weather, but there were a lot of guesthouses full up (at least the more popular ones). Look out for a few days to either side of January 31st this year, as that is where Chinese New Year falls. More and more families and tour groups living in China are getting adventures and traveling abroad during the holiday and it can really pack out prime spots like Siem Reap. I'm doubting that Luang Prabang has been impacted too much - but you might want to ask around.

#9 Posted: 15/9/2013 - 23:05

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

daa, why would people go to SEA for pizza?

#10 Posted: 16/9/2013 - 09:22

• Advertisement

• odo

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2012

Why would anyone think that's why they went to SEA?

I guess if you eat a pizza that makes you not a "real" traveller like you eh?

#11 Posted: 22/9/2013 - 04:11

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

How embarrassing having travelled for many days in Laos eating mostly European food. Get giant baguette sandwich, cut in thirds, your food for the day sorted. Then concentrate on riding motorbike all day to next place. Easier than tracking down bbq iguana, palm civets or bee larvae in small villages. As Croc Dundee used to say, "you can live on it, but it tastes like sh^t" ;-)

#12 Posted: 22/9/2013 - 11:51

• MellisaTurn-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    16th March, 2013

Surrounded by jungle, with the Mekong River flowing through, Luang Prabang enjoys a tropical monsoon climate. There are two seasons in this weather: one dry and one wet. The dry season comes from November to May while the rainy season lasts from May to October. Overall, the annual average temperature is approximately 77 degrees Fahrenheit and it is very humid most days, with annual precipitation of approximately 1300 mm.

#13 Posted: 23/9/2013 - 06:20

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007

Pizza is world food these days, but that's just about the only non-Asian food that I do eat when in SE Asia. It's actually getting very hard to get a decent pizza these days (what with pre-made shells and all). We now have a Lao food cart here in Portland, Oregon, and the owner's family is from Luang Prabang (called Haan Ghin, and it's located on the campus of Portland State Univ.)

#14 Posted: 23/9/2013 - 16:58

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007

"77 degrees Fahrenheit" - feels much more like 87 F to me! Is that a misprint?

#15 Posted: 23/9/2013 - 17:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
What malaria risks in Luang Prabang, early February? ... By EdwardTrunk on 18 Oct 2013 6 4226 23 Oct 2013
Flights from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang & Luang Prabang to Hanoi(V'nam)? ... By aussieboonmar on 8 Mar 2006 7 9385 19 Aug 2011