Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Government Bus From Vientianne to Sam Neua

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013
    Total reviews: 3

Interested in getting a government bus direct to Sam Neua. Not one of those large white mafia run rip off vans that stop in the middle of nowhere and then demand you pay what ever they wish otherwise they dump you off in the middle of nowhere. Witnessed this in 2009 and watched as some Lao were robbed of all their cash and then stranded. Not long ago there were affordable buses that ran throughout much of Laos. Hopefully they still exist. Does anyone know if there are any from the bus station in Vientianne ?

#1 Posted: 8/10/2013 - 06:57

• Advertisement

• telmi

Joined Travelfish
    1st January, 2013

Don't think there is such a thing as a govt. bus so assume you mean the big public buses that run from the big public bus stations which are all privately owned and run. There is a direct bus from Vte to Sam Neua per this link http://hobomaps.com/TravelVientiane.html. But I think that bus may go the long route via Hwy 13 and thru Luang Prabang & Pak Mong, etc. Better to try the new route thru Paxan to Phonsavanh and from there to Sam Neua. I know there is a public bus from Vte to Phonsavanh via this short route but not sure which bus station it departs from. I've taken the bus from Phonsavanh to Sam Neua and it's a nice easy trip thru nice scenery - it leaves about 08:00 each morning http://hobomaps.com/TravelPDJ.html.

#2 Posted: 10/10/2013 - 02:35

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013
    Total reviews: 3

thanks for the info. after my experience with the MAFIA white mini-vans i swore never again. I saw them more than once pull off in the middle of nowhere and demand more kip not only from myself but also the locals. Watched a few families tossed out in the middle of nowhere. the woman taking the cash was a real B***h! My Lao friend also told me to avoid them.

#3 Posted: 13/10/2013 - 04:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.