Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Phou Khao Khouay, how to visit?

• boleslav

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2009
    Total reviews: 5

I am looking for some ideas how to arrange a trekking in Phou Kway (or Phou Khao Khouay. )
    Have you done a trip there, would you advise on how to arrange it?
    I have looked at a web site that offered one day trip for "only"$145 pp

thank you

#1 Posted: 11/10/2013 - 17:10

• Advertisement

• JaiYen88

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2012
    Total reviews: 2

You should be able to do this independently, $145 is a crazy price to pay! You can either hire a minivan to take you there from Vientiane (expensive option) or take a song taew (pick-up truck, local transport, very cheap) from the southern bus station to Thabok, and from there you can arrange for further transport to Ban Hatkai where you can arrange for a local guide to bring you into the national park. Here is a link for more detailed info: http://www.trekkingcentrallaos.com/html/possibletrips_banhatkhai.htm

There is a phone number listed on travelfish for Ban Hatkhai but it's possible that it is out of date: (020) 224 0303. Here is the link to the section on PKK on travelfish: http://www.travelfish.org/location/laos/vientiane_and_surrounds/vientiane/phou_khao_khouay_national_park

It's great that you are going to Phou Khao Khouay, it's a beautiful place to visit but almost no foreign tourists go there! There are numerous waterfalls and rivers to explore by boat and jungle by foot, and the people who live there are some of the friendliest I've ever met and definitely need more business!

Feel free to contact me if you would like me to put you in touch with someone from the village directly, and I'll see what I can do!

#2 Posted: 13/10/2013 - 12:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Phou Khao Khouay National Park ... By christay2009 on 22 Oct 2009 5 4116 23 Oct 2009
Phou Khao Khouay - Worth visiting? ... By tujungadj on 7 Jul 2009 1 2355 7 Jul 2009
Phou Khao Khouay nat. park near Vientiane - anybody hired a guide? ... By QWE on 4 May 2013 2 1350 11 May 2013
Tiger Lilly Resort - Phou Khao Khouay National Park ... By carenw on 8 Oct 2007 1 3661 9 Nov 2007
Islands to visit from Khao Sok N.P. (Thailand) ... By caseyprich on 9 Oct 2013 4 740 10 Oct 2013