Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Some initial advice

• natalie_rae

Joined Travelfish
    13th October, 2012

Hi all,

We are currently planning our trip for Laos for four weeks, arrive 23 December. Hoping that travelfishers could provide some general (and some not so general advice).

Firstly, we are wanting to do some trekking out of Muang Long, see Luang Prabang and the Plain of Jars. We weren't certain after that if it would be possible to make it down to the 4,000 Islands or if we would be better off sticking in the north and moving around at a leisurely pace.

Secondly, does anyone have any advice on the Xmas/New Years period. Will it be difficult to use transport/get accommodation, and does anyone have any recommendation for where to spend New Years Eve? (Not Vang Vieng)

Thanks in advance.

#1 Posted: 1/11/2013 - 01:13

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I'd stick to the north. You have enough time to skip down to the south for a short stay, but the bus ride down there really isn't worth the little bit you'd get to see. There are so many smaller spots that you could stop in to break up your journey in the north that I think you'll find plenty to do. This especially if you decide to do a big loop out to Plain of Jars and up to Sam Neau rather than straight back the way you came. Some parts of Laos can get chilly at that time of year so make sure to bring some jeans and a fleece.

When I've been in Laos I have never been one to party late, and when I did it was often a surprise and something not geared around foreign festivals. One example would be when the Wat in Tad Lo decided to have a fundraising party and blared music so loud all night that you couldn't really sleep anyway. Probably the two best options are either Luang Prabang or Vientiane if you are looking for a party. If you are flying into Vientiane, with your schedule you could really relax there for a couple nights, a couple nights in Vang Vieng and then be in luang Prabang for New Year's Eve.

#2 Posted: 1/11/2013 - 05:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.