Flag of Laos

Laos forum

should i go to laos or give it a miss??

• aim88

Joined Travelfish
    27th October, 2013

I am doing the usual thai, cambodia, vietnam trip and was hoping to then head to indonesia but I am now wondering whether to go to laos instead...I would be going in march so is this time good for weather?and would laos be good for a 30year old solo traveller...not sure the vang vieng tubing thing is for me!;-)
    I guess what I want to know is if there is anyone that can sell laos to me over indonesia?!
    Thank you

#1 Posted: 13/11/2013 - 15:05

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The Vang Vieng scene has changed a lot and the craziest of the tubing elements are now gone. You can read more about the changes here.

March may be smoky though (depending on where in Laos you travel to).

Laos fits better with your existing plan as there is no need to fly etc

Where in Indonesia were you considering? and for how long?

Cheers

#2 Posted: 13/11/2013 - 17:36

• TradingTrav-
    eler

Joined Travelfish
    2nd December, 2013

We just got back from a motorbike trip through Laos. We loved Luang Prabang, but not so much Vientiane. We stopped in Vang Vieng for the night and did a long boat ride. It really is a beautiful place and definitely not a wild party like it used to be (although you can still find some). We also ended up in Nong Khiaw by accident and it was absolutely stunning. I'd say it's definitely worth visiting, but also depends on how much time you have, activities you are interested in, etc.

Enjoy your trip!

#3 Posted: 3/12/2013 - 00:19

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

Depends on how much time you got. Laos is beautiful and as said above, the tubing scene is gone (though party's still occur).
    Luang Prabang and all the way up north Luang Namtha region is very nice as well.
    See how much time you got left, but there's typical travel routes going trough thailand, laos, cambodia and vietnam... check it out.

#4 Posted: 3/12/2013 - 05:02

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Laos fits in nicely for the classic SE Asia circuit, but you will probably need to choose how to get from Vientiane to Hanoi (costly 1-hour flight vs. cheap 24-hour bus). Most backpackers seem to give Laos the gold medal as favourite country in the region, and in many ways I agree. If you have 2-3 weeks for it, yep! March can be hot and hazy, but there's always "the beach" along the rivers for a cooldown.

#5 Posted: 3/12/2013 - 11:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.