Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

should i go to laos or give it a miss??

Posted by aim88 on 13/11/2013 at 15:05

I am doing the usual thai, cambodia, vietnam trip and was hoping to then head to indonesia but I am now wondering whether to go to laos instead...I would be going in march so is this time good for weather?and would laos be good for a 30year old solo traveller...not sure the vang vieng tubing thing is for me!;-)
I guess what I want to know is if there is anyone that can sell laos to me over indonesia?!
Thank you

#1 aim88 has been a member since 27/10/2013. Posts: 6

Posted by somtam2000 on 13/11/2013 at 17:36 admin

The Vang Vieng scene has changed a lot and the craziest of the tubing elements are now gone. You can read more about the changes here.

March may be smoky though (depending on where in Laos you travel to).

Laos fits better with your existing plan as there is no need to fly etc

Where in Indonesia were you considering? and for how long?

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by TradingTraveler on 3/12/2013 at 00:19

We just got back from a motorbike trip through Laos. We loved Luang Prabang, but not so much Vientiane. We stopped in Vang Vieng for the night and did a long boat ride. It really is a beautiful place and definitely not a wild party like it used to be (although you can still find some). We also ended up in Nong Khiaw by accident and it was absolutely stunning. I'd say it's definitely worth visiting, but also depends on how much time you have, activities you are interested in, etc.

Enjoy your trip!

#3 TradingTraveler has been a member since 2/12/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by svendj on 3/12/2013 at 05:02

Depends on how much time you got. Laos is beautiful and as said above, the tubing scene is gone (though party's still occur).
Luang Prabang and all the way up north Luang Namtha region is very nice as well.
See how much time you got left, but there's typical travel routes going trough thailand, laos, cambodia and vietnam... check it out.

#4 svendj has been a member since 30/4/2010. Location: Belgium. Posts: 196
 Where has svendj been? 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 3/12/2013 at 11:04

Laos fits in nicely for the classic SE Asia circuit, but you will probably need to choose how to get from Vientiane to Hanoi (costly 1-hour flight vs. cheap 24-hour bus). Most backpackers seem to give Laos the gold medal as favourite country in the region, and in many ways I agree. If you have 2-3 weeks for it, yep! March can be hot and hazy, but there's always "the beach" along the rivers for a cooldown.

#5 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,821

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.