Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Advice Needed: Where's the best place(s) to visit in Laos?

• mariamini

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi,

We're currently in Vietnam, looking to go into Laos very soon, for roughly a week.

We've got some guide books and have read up on travelfish but was hoping perhaps people could help us on here.

I'm looking for peoples recommendation of any particularly good spots we should definately go to? We've got 7-10 days to do it.

Any help will be appreciated,

Thanks,

Maria

#1 Posted: 18/8/2007 - 15:39

• Advertisement

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

The Lonely Planet Guide book is hopelessly out of date. I believe there is a new one coming out. Luang Prabang is probably the number one spot. Vientiane is definitely worth a visit for a couple of days, despite what some other posters might say. (I live there, so I should know). So is Xieng Khuan, (Plane of Jars). Only spend about 2 days in the latter area, though.
    I find Vang Vieng boring, others love it but there are far too many tourists for my likeing and it is definitely not "Laos". Champasack is also worth a look. You won't be able to cover Laos in such a short time - 2 days in Vientiane, 3-4 days in LP, the rest is up to you.

#2 Posted: 19/8/2007 - 06:33

• jennipa

Joined Travelfish
    15th June, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

What kind of things do you like to do?
    Personally I agree with Rufus about Vang Vieng, but when I was there I met a number of people who got as far as VV and decided to spend the rest of their trip there and not see anything else.
    Luang Prabang is a good place to base yourself from for a few days - after exploring the city you can take a number of day trips; Pak Ou cave, Elephant trekking etc.
    The 4000 islands were one of my highlights, especially Don Khon but there is literally nothing to do there except relax and enjoy the scenery, not everyone's cup of tea.
    You can't "rush" Laos. I discovered that. It's a fantastic place.

#3 Posted: 19/8/2007 - 08:48

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

with 7 to 10 days to spend, i'd definitely recommend hanging out in the vientiane-vang vieng-luang prabang corridor, with the lion's share of your time spent in luang prabang. i personally like vang vieng, but it isn't exactly the most authentic lao experience available either. it depends on whether you are looking for the real laos or looking for a place to hang out and relax. vientiane gets more interesting every time i visit and has heaps to do, and luang prabang is still a premier travel destination and one of the all-time highlights of any travel i've done. from there you can fly on to chiang mai, bangkok, or back to vientiane.

i suspect we'd all be more comfortable making more specific recommendations if we had a better idea of what types of things you prefer to do, if history of the war is interesting to you or not, from where (and how) you'll be travelling from vietnam to laos, and what your budget is. have a good trip. cheers.

#4 Posted: 20/8/2007 - 22:01

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Hi,

I really liked the Buddha garden in (or just outside) Vientiane. When we were there it was very quiet and there werent many tourist at all. Get there early. We got there on our motorbike but I am shure a bus or a taxi can be done.

Vientiane is an interesting place to explore, from the banks of the Mekong to the old French colonial buildings.

One place I really want to go and see tho is the 'plane of jars'. Looks interesting.

Have fun.

#5 Posted: 29/8/2007 - 16:06

• marianwarren

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2006
    Total reviews: 13

Hi mariamini

I liked Luang NaTha in the north, Luang Prabang - Vientiane; especially the amazing sculptures at Buddha Park as mentioned by Jon_Mak_Mak (4000 kip on the bus from Central Bus Station - this was very much a squeezy rattley locals only bus but the locals were so helpful as when to get off [the Buddha Park is practically the end of the line]) Entry 5000 kip with a 2000 kip camera fee. If you can fit it in try to get down to Si Phan Don. Although with only 7 - 10 days LP and Vientiane may be enough.

Travel well

Marian

#6 Posted: 29/8/2007 - 16:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Itinerary advice needed for a 1 week visit to Laos with 2 young kids ... By skwan00 on 16 Jul 2013 5 1072 20 Jul 2013
Advice needed. Bangkok-->Laos ... By kif on 2 Jul 2010 4 4039 6 Jul 2010
Advice needed for Laos itinerary ... By Klozknitz on 20 Dec 2012 10 2156 2 Jan 2013
Laos trip itinerary. Please review and advice if needed ... By v_sokolov on 27 Dec 2008 1 3326 29 Dec 2008
Itinerary advice needed 22days Laos&Cambodia ... By kif on 21 Oct 2010 15 2776 25 Oct 2010
Advice needed!! travel from southern laos to hue, vietnam ... By elena123 on 29 May 2007 2 3730 30 May 2007
Quick advice needed: Visa on arrival, Laos to China ... By Lamar on 5 Mar 2008 13 8663 18 Oct 2012
Itinerary advice needed for Cambodia, laos and Thailand - any thoughts much appreciated! ... By hjbvet on 27 Oct 2010 4 3250 31 Oct 2010
Itinerary 1 Month - Backpacking Through Thailand Laos Cambodia and Vietnam... Advice Needed :) ... By reneejordan on 5 Nov 2010 8 20309 6 Mar 2011
Thailand, laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Bali - 6 months (Jan 2014) Advice needed ... By lewism05 on 15 May 2013 5 3674 21 Oct 2013