Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Savannakhet to Pakse - Urgent help please

• Bridgequeen

Joined Travelfish
    29th July, 2013
    Location Earth

I am currently in Savannakhet and have asked my very helpful hotel to book a bus for me to Pakse, i need to get there on Monday. They kind of laughed. I have spent the afternoon searching for a travel agent. I also googled to find that there is a flight, which I would prefer but you cannot book it on the Lao Airlines site. I know I could probably pay to go to the bus station tomorrow and try to explain but I would much rather sort it in town with somebody who speaks English. any ideas???

#1 Posted: 7/12/2013 - 08:27

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

queen,

i did a trip report on the savannakhet to pakse bus ride, but that was nearly four years ago. you can read the story at this link. maybe there is information that will assist you.

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/tripreports/10314_trip-report--the-bus-to-pakse

as i recall, people went out to the bus station to purchase their ticket that morning. sort of a walk-up, first-come, first-served situation. it was an interesting but long and uncomfortable ride. best to arrive at the bus station early to at least have your choice of departures. you could maybe even head out there a day early to see what is on offer, although i don't know if they'll sell a ticket one day in advance or not. good luck!

#2 Posted: 7/12/2013 - 10:51

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Strange that your hotel staff would laugh at that question.

Last year around this time I was told at the bus station that buses depart for Pakse at 7:00, 9:00, 10:30, 14:00 and 17:30, costing 40,000 kip. (That was roughly the same schedule as it was back in '09 so I doubt it has changed much in a year). The bus station is not far from the center of town - it took about 15 minutes to reach it by bicycle as I recall. Why don't you just go down there today and buy a ticket in person? The ticket sellers are used to dealing with travelers and can speak some English. Personally I don't see the need to shell out extra cash for a travel agent here.

#3 Posted: 7/12/2013 - 20:53

• Bridgequeen

Joined Travelfish
    29th July, 2013
    Location Earth

Thanks for your advice. I went to the bus station this morning and was told you can't book a bus for Pakse in advance - this may have been why the hotel staff were laughing. According to the lady at the bus station all the buses are the same despite the differing prices. I think she said that the luggage goes underneath, not inside all the buses. I really hate it when they pile everything on top of each other at the back of thte bus. So now the decision is which one to go for? I have no idea how busy they will be - and don't really want to get there and have to wait for hours for the next one.

#4 Posted: 8/12/2013 - 01:30

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Bridgequeen you are in the wrong country - definitely the wrong city. Savanakhet is a backwater. English is of minimal use there. I've been five times, and if I wasn't able to speak reasonable Thai, well, it would have been a challenge. Not insurmountable, but a chalenge. The bus station at Savanakhet is not burger king, you don't get it your way.

"I really hate it when they pile everything on top of each other at the back of the bus."

I was taking a Song Taew in Yaso once... it was so crowded that myself and five other guys were on the roof. Not our luggage, but us.

Buses suck.

Did you go to the airport to inquire about a flight?

#5 Posted: 8/12/2013 - 02:54

• Bridgequeen

Joined Travelfish
    29th July, 2013
    Location Earth

Didn't bother going to the airport. According to Laos Airlines they only fly to Bangkok from here. With only one flight a day I thought they would be closed anyway. Wrong city? yes, should have gone straight through to Pakse. However I do like the Dao Savanh restaurant and shall be going there for another meal tonight.

#6 Posted: 8/12/2013 - 04:23

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"However I do like the Dao Savanh restaurant and shall be going there for another meal tonight."

Good call, I like it too. They still sell French beer there?

I suspected there were no flights to Pakse from Savanakhet. Giving Laos Airline pricing, I'm surprised they're in business at all.

#7 Posted: 8/12/2013 - 04:43

• Bridgequeen

Joined Travelfish
    29th July, 2013
    Location Earth

Not sure about the French beer. none on the menu but I am happy with Beer Lao anyway. Another good meal and at 65,000 for 3 courses I don't think it is expensive.

#8 Posted: 8/12/2013 - 07:39

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

If I were you I'd get there around 8:30. If the 9:00 is full, waiting 1.5 hours for the next one isn't a huge deal (assuming that timetable is still correct). I enjoyed the big market next to the bus station - had some good noodles and fresh rolls there. Even if you're scared to try the food it's still a good place to walk around. Otherwise, yeah, not much to do out that way. Bring a book?

#9 Posted: 8/12/2013 - 08:42

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

To be on the safe side, I would not eat before you get on that bus. It's a long ride. If you get the runs, it will be very unpleasant (it's already going to suck).

#10 Posted: 8/12/2013 - 12:04

• Advertisement

• Bridgequeen

Joined Travelfish
    29th July, 2013
    Location Earth

Thsnks everyone; just to let you know I went at about 8.00. The reason I asked for help was because I was worried about not getting on the bus. No worries there. I can tell you categorically that the 9.00 bus stops everywhere and takes over 7 hours. There is no concept about the bus being full. I need not have worried. By the end we were a full bus plus the contents of two trucks, plus at least 15 people in the aisles - you just have to go with it. I didn't eat before for the very reason you suggested. However, a German guy did and I kid you not there were no toilet stops in 7+ hours. He barely got off and made it back. Interesting but I would n't be doing it again. BTW the Pakse Hotel restaurant which people rave about has nothing on Dao Savanh in Savannkhet, just had ( or rather left) overcooked chicken there.

#11 Posted: 9/12/2013 - 08:22

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Yep - sounds about right. Buses suck.

#12 Posted: 9/12/2013 - 09:25

• Bridgequeen

Joined Travelfish
    29th July, 2013
    Location Earth

So how come they can do it Ok in Cambodia?. I am not even talking about Giant Ibis which are fantastic but I have only used once. The other buses I have taken have been (compared to here) fine. I really do think that Laos has a way to go.

#13 Posted: 9/12/2013 - 09:40

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

All busses suck in all countries in all times. Some suck more, some suck less. Laos is a poor country with a poor infrastructure and the economic drivers are not there for much improvement in the transportation sphere yet.

#14 Posted: 9/12/2013 - 11:31

• froglink

Joined Travelfish
    13th February, 2013
    Location France

Hi Bridgequeen, I did that trip in December. It's an easy ride now, although you do have to run for a piss when it stops. Hey MADMAC, shame I missed you in Muk. Had a brilliant trip up, around and down the Mekong. Plenty of ideas for my book, too.

#15 Posted: 20/1/2014 - 09:13

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Oh well Frog, maybe next time. I'll be here.

#16 Posted: 20/1/2014 - 22:57

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Yep buses suck. I did buses a lot as a kid. Short mini bus rides r ok but anything over 4 hrs sucks. Best ride i had was a brand new mini bus from chang to bkk. Driver was still taking the plastic off when we got in. No one else on the bus. Driver wasnt a maniac either. Thats as good as it gets.

#17 Posted: 21/1/2014 - 07:35

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Overnight buses in South America don't suck at all. They are relatively cheap, safe, very comfortable and the best way to travel on a budget. Depending on the journey they are also a great way to see some of the countryside, albeit that is not a major consideration in using them.

#18 Posted: 21/1/2014 - 10:17

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Earth to China, Earth to China - SEA isn't South America.

#19 Posted: 21/1/2014 - 11:37

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

You said earlier that all buses in all countries suck. I disagree. SEA buses appear to be among the worst of any continent.

#20 Posted: 21/1/2014 - 17:03

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Fair point china. But South amer landscape is more scenic.

In sea boats r the way to travel if avail.

If by land cars heaps better than buses. U can make detours and stop when u want.

#21 Posted: 21/1/2014 - 21:45

• froglink

Joined Travelfish
    13th February, 2013
    Location France

C'mon guys, get over it. Slow bus travel in SEA can be one of the most rewarding things you can do in life. You may have to manage the piss spots, but if you relax into it, dream away, maybe listen to some good music - it's travel at its best.

#22 Posted: 22/1/2014 - 04:22

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

"Slow bus travel in SEA can be one of the most rewarding things you can do in life. You may have to manage the piss spots, but if you relax into it, dream away, maybe listen to some good music - it's travel at its best."

Certainly rewarding in its own way but give me Emirates business class any day!

#23 Posted: 22/1/2014 - 05:48

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

If listening to music is the highlight that proves its boring.

#24 Posted: 22/1/2014 - 06:36

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Slow bus travel in SEA can be one of the most rewarding things you can do in life. You may have to manage the piss spots, but if you relax into it, dream away, maybe listen to some good music - it's travel at its best."

Do you get high before you get on the bus? My bus travel here has come in two types:

1. Overnighters to Bangkok. Seat is reasonably comfortable for my 5' 6" frame. Reclines well. I still can't sleep in it though. So I sit and read. Bus is always too cold and that shitty little blanket isn't enough to keep you warm. I never have a hot babe in the seat next to me, it's always someone like Leonard who is even less comfortable in his seat than I am. The bus stops in Khorat at about 1 a.m., so on the off chance you were sleeping, the bus crew announcing you've have 20 minutes and turning on the lights will guarantee you are awakened so you can try and fall alseep again for the last leg to Bangkok. I usually start dozing off in some unfortable position around 3 a.m. or so. Hit Bangkok around 5. Maybe I get two hours of bad sleep so I can be a zombie the next day. The trip blows. I've made it more times than I can count.

2. Bus from province to province. These buses have mostly been grossly overcrowded with the AC not working and few piss stops. I took one once from Yasothon to Ubon. It took over five hours to get there and I was standing in the aisle the entire trip. It was so hot inside that everyone was dying... It took the word "suck" to a new level in bus travel. On a bus trop from Mukdahan to Khon Kaen the driver was insane, passing where the only way to do so was to run cars coming the opposite direction off the road - which he did. Wife and I decided to get off in Khalasin before we ended up dead. I've taken this bus five times. My son hates it so much he'll do almost anything to avoid it.

So... dude, buses suck. They can suck a little. They can suck a lot. But they always suck. I ride my motorcycle almost always now. Even to Bangkok.

"You said earlier that all buses in all countries suck. I disagree. SEA buses appear to be among the worst of any continent."

All buses suck. It's just that some only suck a little bit, and some suck a lot. But they always suck. Just like flying always sucks. Anytime I am jammed in a seat for a protracted period of time that I can not control, it's going to suck.

#25 Posted: 22/1/2014 - 23:17

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

"I never have a hot babe in the seat next to me, it's always someone like Leonard who is even less comfortable in his seat than I am."

I think I'd rather walk to Bangkok than sit beside Leonard!

"All buses suck."

In your opinion. Not in mine. Some yes, not all.

#26 Posted: 23/1/2014 - 03:43

• froglink

Joined Travelfish
    13th February, 2013
    Location France

Hi guys, it looks like we're not going to agree on this one. OK, I'll admit it. Some bus trips suck. Like the old bus from Srinagar to Leh; up and down through dangerous corners, two days of bumpy cramped travel - except that you are going through some of the most awesome scenery on the planet. Overall, I guess I like bus travel cos I like travel. Perhaps it's the nomad in me.
    Madmac asks: Do you get high before you get on the bus? Well, that reminds me of a wonderful trip from Pokhara to Kathmandu I did far too long ago. But that's an entirely different thread altogether...
    Also, I found air travel in Thailand this time really cheap if bought in advance. I guess they need a strip in Mukdahan!

#27 Posted: 23/1/2014 - 04:14

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Madmac asks: Do you get high before you get on the bus? Well, that reminds me of a wonderful trip from Pokhara to Kathmandu I did far too long ago. But that's an entirely different thread altogether..."

Aha! Now the truth comes to the surface.

"Also, I found air travel in Thailand this time really cheap if bought in advance. I guess they need a strip in Mukdahan!"

Man do they ever. They were suppose to have let expats use the one in Savanakhet to get to Bangkok without having to pay visa fees on each end, but that didn't happen. So we have daily flights leaving from less than a mile from my house, and I have to drive to either Ubon or NKP to take a flight. Annoying to say the least.

"I think I'd rather walk to Bangkok than sit beside Leonard!"

I'd enjoy sitting and having a beer with Leonard, but he told me he's over 100kg, which means he's not fitting in those seats nice and comfy.

#28 Posted: 23/1/2014 - 09:20

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

As things stand, how much would a flight (including all costs) from Savannakhet to BKK cost you?

#29 Posted: 23/1/2014 - 09:52

• froglink

Joined Travelfish
    13th February, 2013
    Location France

Hi Chinarocks, it's not just the fare that would hurt MADMAC - although it was over double the Ubon-DMK or BKK route when I last looked. It's also the 35 dollar Lao visa both ways. And if the Thais do eventually bring in that silly 500 baht "medical" fee - which, again, he would have to pay both ways - that would all add up to a lot of loot for what should be a short trip to the City of Angels.

#30 Posted: 23/1/2014 - 11:01

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

China, if word around the campfire is accurrate, about 9,000 baht.

#31 Posted: 23/1/2014 - 11:06

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006

I mostly lean towards China's more romantic view of bus rides as a fun adventure, and I can think of several bus rides that were quite interesting and even one on an ultra VIP bus from Khorat to Bangkok that was very comfortable. But the difference here is that when I'm riding the bus in southeast Asia, it is because I am on holiday and want to get to some place exciting. It is never because I absolutely have to get somewhere, because when you absolutely have to take the bus as the only option, then it does pretty much suck.

I like buses because it is a glimpse into how locals live, which is hopefully part of the reason we all travel. But even there, I recommend bus rides of two to three hours and absolutely no more than six hours duration unless there is seriously no other way to go. For longer trips, I'd break up a bus ride into two parts with an overnight stay before I'd sit on a bus for more than six hours. Not that anyone asked... Cheers.

#32 Posted: 23/1/2014 - 11:45

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"I like buses because it is a glimpse into how locals live, which is hopefully part of the reason we all travel."

My local friends hate the bus as much as I do. I just feel compelled to mention. In fact my local wife despises them far more than I do.

#33 Posted: 23/1/2014 - 11:52

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006

Right. Like I said, it is a glimpse of how locals live. I didn't say the locals like it, and in fact, since they are riding the bus because they absolutely have to get somewhere and not because they are on holiday like me, I'd expect it to suck for them far more than for me. From my experience, I've noticed that I enjoy the bus ride far more than the locals.

It's a perspective thing, and this is a website for independent travel in southeast Asia. Bus rides are definitely part of the independent travel experience, and sometimes even part of the fun.

#34 Posted: 23/1/2014 - 12:26

• froglink

Joined Travelfish
    13th February, 2013
    Location France

"sometimes even part of the fun"
    Does anyone remember the early slogan of Lonely Planet: "Getting there is half the fun"? This was particularly appropriate then as their maps were so bad, that's all you ever did - you might have been getting there but never got there.
    These days, of course, LP guides might be accurate but they are so uncool.
    Anyway, bus trips are (generally) fun if you are travelling and take the time to enjoy it. Of course, if you are itching to "get there", the trip will suck. But if you enjoy getting there, they can be brilliant.

#35 Posted: 23/1/2014 - 12:48

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Flying is fun apart from airport waiting time and small seats in economy. Always cool taking off and watching the landscape or city when u land.

I could only imagine how painful it would be sitting next to China bitching like an old woman the whole time.

#36 Posted: 23/1/2014 - 19:45

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Frog,

Enjoy looking out the window of a bus?

Far more enjoyable by car or bike cause u can stop and see things along the way. U can stop at waterfalls, caves and beaches. U can stop at a market or restaurant that looks good. U can stop and take.photos and take some back rds to see what is there. You can stop often or little depending upon whats there. The open rd providea freedom.

With buses its designated stops and u miss the best bits. U are like cattle going to the sales yard. You smell farts and bus fumes. Then there is those annoying talkers that wont shut up or the people eating chips and the sound of the packet is irrating like in a movie.

#37 Posted: 23/1/2014 - 20:02

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006

"Then there is those annoying talkers that wont shut up or the people eating chips and the sound of the packet is irrating like in a movie."

Are you sure it's China who would be bitching like an old woman the whole time?

#38 Posted: 23/1/2014 - 22:32

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

100%.

I dont talk much.

#39 Posted: 23/1/2014 - 23:09

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006

Nah. China is a good guy who would be interesting and fun to talk to, and that would be true of you too LC, even if you don't talk much. Over beers would be even better. Regards.

#40 Posted: 23/1/2014 - 23:57

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

I can talk about sports but small talk not into that.

#41 Posted: 24/1/2014 - 00:11

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Leonard, someday we willl run across each other. I got that feeling. I do sports, no problem.

I suspect China is a contrarian, which are types that are difficult for me personally. But I could be wrong. Internet persona is not always matching actual persona.

#42 Posted: 24/1/2014 - 01:40

• froglink

Joined Travelfish
    13th February, 2013
    Location France

Leonard,
    Sure, all of that is right. A lot of it depends on the country, of course. In India the local busses stop all the time, so you can get on and off pretty easily and see heaps. But in France or Oz, for ex, you'd miss lots if you only used busses. It's good on foot through vineyards or in Nepal, on bike in China, private car or motorbike in Laos and Thailand etc, campervan Down Under - all of this is great. The point is to travel, and to take the time to look around without taking photos all the time... Even if it is "your" own country, there's time to travel (but don't start me on the silly tourist vs traveller distinction - each to his or her own)

#43 Posted: 24/1/2014 - 04:46

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Even if it is "your" own country, there's time to travel (but don't start me on the silly tourist vs traveller distinction - each to his or her own"

Man, I just had a blinding flash.... a new term: Sex travellers.

#44 Posted: 24/1/2014 - 09:49

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

"I suspect China is a contrarian."

If by that you mean that I don't follow the herd, then, yes, you are right.

If you mean I argue for the sake of argument, then, no, you are not correct.

As regards Leonard's comments, well I shall refrain from responding as he does a good enough job of making himself look rather silly.

@exacto - thanks for the kind words :-)

#45 Posted: 24/1/2014 - 10:03

• froglink

Joined Travelfish
    13th February, 2013
    Location France

MADMAC, a new term... for an old practice.

#46 Posted: 24/1/2014 - 10:58

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

China
    People who are contrarian tend by nature to look at "society" and political systems and attack the status quo as their positional norm. For contrarians the glass is almost always half empty, almost never half full.

Frog
    Indeed. Cool new term though. I like the idea of hijacking the word "travellers".

#47 Posted: 24/1/2014 - 11:47

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Not according to the dictionary it's not.

In any event, I am an eternal optimist, thankfully.

Stuart, may I suggest you close this one off?!!

#48 Posted: 24/1/2014 - 12:47

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I will admit it's my own descriptive term for the above. I made it a noun. A contrarian.

#49 Posted: 24/1/2014 - 13:36

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006

Hi,

I'm a long-time visitor but first-time poster to the message board. I'll be visiting Indonesia for three weeks in June and July with some Australian friends. I haven't been to Indonesia since 1999, and I'm worried that you can still only get Bintang Beer in those wimpy little 630 ml bottles and not those 5 liter cans that are so popular everywhere else. Does anyone know? Is maybe Bali the best place to get a man-sized beer?

Also, I'm worried about money. I have quite a bit of leftover cash from a fairly recent trip to North Korea, because despite what everyone told me before I went, there really wasn't much to buy there, and I got stuck holding all this stuff. Do you think I'll be able to exchange this North Korean currency for Indonesian money?

#50 Posted: 24/1/2014 - 14:08

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

China, you got totally embarrassed on the Broome topic.

Not even knowing how to fly there.

#51 Posted: 24/1/2014 - 20:01

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Yeah, I was totally mortified. To be honest, I don't even like talking about it now, if you don't mind.

#52 Posted: 25/1/2014 - 08:49

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006

nice one, china. good for you staying on the high ground. vbr.

#53 Posted: 25/1/2014 - 11:03

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"The Broome topic"??? OK, you guys lost me.

#54 Posted: 27/1/2014 - 08:43

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Leonard and I both got one or two things wrong, but he'll choose to only remember my errors.

The name of the thread escapes me.

#55 Posted: 27/1/2014 - 10:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Savannakhet stop or straight to Pakse? ... By brea on 6 Aug 2008 6 3691 14 Jun 2011
URGENT! Scooter accident Pakse medical care? ... By achoo on 22 Apr 2012 8 1635 22 Apr 2012