Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Malaria risk

• evans112

Joined Travelfish
    9th December, 2013

I am going to north thailand in February and then travelling down the Mekong From Huay Xai to Luang Prabang by slow boat and then spending a few days in Luang Peabang What are the malaria risk doing this and do I need to take anti malaria tablets or any other precautions
    Many thanks

#1 Posted: 9/12/2013 - 12:00

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'm no travel doctor but I wouldn't recommend malaria meds for a trip like that. This story on malaria in SEA may be of use.

#2 Posted: 9/12/2013 - 21:31

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Hundreds of travellers ply that route every day year-round and pretty much nobody is catching malaria on the way. Risk is minimal and meds are not really necessary IMO and I've done the trip many times and lived in north Thailand 10 years, so there ;-)

Dengue fever is a more realistic concern and there is currently no way to prevent it except avoiding mosquito bites. But February is peak dry season and occurrence of dengue-bearing mozzies is usually pretty low then - more a concern around June/July when rainy season is kicking in. Bite-avoidance is a good strategy - apply repellent and cover up, sleep in a screened/sealed room, walk away if you find yourself in a mozzie zone (they like stagnant water and dark colours).

#3 Posted: 10/12/2013 - 07:47

• evans112

Joined Travelfish
    9th December, 2013

May thanks for your replies. Very much appreciated

#4 Posted: 10/12/2013 - 12:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Malaria Risk Ko Phayam & Ko Chang ... By scrog99 on 20 Nov 2010 4 6063 22 Dec 2010
Malaria risk Koh Phayam near Ranong ... By Tinz on 25 Oct 2012 1 2399 31 Oct 2012