Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Flying from Bangkok to Luang Prabang

Posted by WithcottKate on 13/12/2013 at 22:42

I'm flying into Bangkok in February and at this stage plan to fly directly to Luang Prabang the next day to save myself some travel time.
Regarding cost and reliability, would it be best to book my flight once I'm in Bangkok or book ahead on a site like skyscanner?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#1 WithcottKate has been a member since 20/8/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by DLuek on 14/12/2013 at 08:24 TF writer

Definitely cheaper to book ahead, but it's going to be expensive either way as none of the budget airlines fly that route. Bangkok Airways will probably be the cheapest - compare prices on their website (www.bangkokair.com) with online booking sites. Alternately you could fly straight to Vientiane for significantly cheaper with Lao Central (www.flylaocentral.com) or Udon Thani cheaper still with either Air Asia (www.airasia.com) or Nok Air (www.nokair.com), and take a bus up to LP from either of those places. Not a short bus ride by any means but would probably save you upwards of US $100.

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,148
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 14/12/2013 at 09:07

Thai Smile (part of Thai Airways) begins direct Bangkok - Luang Prabang flights December 15, 2013 (tomorrow). So at least now there will be another (possibly cheaper) option. Check for fares http://www.thaismileair.com

February is still pretty busy on this route. You won't likely get cheaper airfares booking locally so if you know your dates book online beforehand.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/384321/thai-smile-to-service-luang-prabang

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,871

Posted by WithcottKate on 15/12/2013 at 04:32

I only have 3 weeks in SE Asia so I will fly directly and book online. I will report back when I get a chance to look at Thai Smile.
Both comments were helpful - thank you very much.

#4 WithcottKate has been a member since 20/8/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 30/12/2013 at 06:12

7300 baht was the cheapest flight. That is pricey.

#5 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.