Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Motorbike Licence in Laos

• Gale

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2012

Hi All

Heading to Laos in Feb/Mar 2014. Planning on riding the Thakhek loop. Husband and I have a motorbike licence issued in Victoria Australia. We will get an IDP from the RACV, the state run motoring association at a cost of $35.50.
    Wondering if the IDP will make us legal to ride motorcycles in Laos? There is a list of countries and requirements on the RACV website but Laos is not mentioned. See link
    http://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/racv/Internet/Primary/travel/driving+overseas/international+driving+requirements

I am unsure of where I can source the correct information on motorbike licences and requirements in Laos.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards
    Gale

#1 Posted: 14/12/2013 - 14:49

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

I wouldn't be too concerned if it's "legal". Sleepy little corner of Laos, nobody really cares about that. Aside from Vientiane and a couple checkpoints in/out of Luang Prabang it's very rare to even see police much less get stopped by them unless you're doing something obviously illegal. Bigger concern might be insurance in the event of an accident involving damage/injury. Check with your provider if they would cover. Otherwise just rent a bike locally and go for it.

#2 Posted: 15/12/2013 - 00:34

• Gale

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2012

Thanks for the reply Captain Bob. Rode motorbikes in the nth of Laos earlier this year with an IDP. Recent research has led me to believe an IDP is not enough in Vietnam and a local licence is also required to be 'legal'. When there was no mention of Laos on the RACV website - where I would obtain the IDP from prior to travel, I wondered if a similar law to Vietnam also exists. It's my understanding being 'legal' is a requirement in the case of an insurance claim.
    Thanks again
    Gale

#3 Posted: 16/12/2013 - 13:43

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Yes it will make you legal. The police DO check and it happens a lot now, but even an Aust licence alone is ok. As Capn suggests, make sure you have insurance.

#4 Posted: 17/12/2013 - 23:31

• Gale

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2012

Thank you Rufus. Much appreciated.

#5 Posted: 19/12/2013 - 04:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Entry into Vietnam from Laos on Motorbike - licence question ... By blksz on 6 Jun 2010 6 4047 20 Mar 2014