Flag of Laos

Laos forum

money questions re arrival in Luang Prabang

• EdwardTrunk

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2013

1) To get Laotian kip, where is there a reliable ATM in Luang Prabang ? At airport? In town?
    2) If there isn't, where is a good place to change $ cash?
    3) We're arriving in Luang Prabang on a Sunday. If no ATM, is there anywhere open to change $ cash? Or should / can we get some kip before travelling? (I've been guessing this would be impossible, expensive or illegal.)
    4) Our hotel has arranged a car to meet us at Luang Prabang airport at a $ price, which we've agreed. Should we pay this to the driver or the hotel manager, who may intend a cut?

Many thanks for any advice

#1 Posted: 10/1/2014 - 02:50

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

One of the largest Banks in Laos, BCEL has ATMs in most tourist towns and bigger cities including Luang Prabang. They have at least one ATM at the airport and several more in town. See http://www.bcel.com.la/en/ATM_Location.aspx so getting kip on arrival should be no problem and anyway your hotel taxi will readily accept $. See current exchange rates at http://www.bcel.com.la/en/ExchangeRate.aspx

#2 Posted: 10/1/2014 - 09:11

• EdwardTrunk

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2013

Thanks very much for that - with kip from the airport ATM we'll be sure of a good supper that night!

But what's the local convention about whether we pay the agreed-in-advance US dollar taxi fare to the driver or to the hotel manager who arranged it? I don't want to start off on the wrong foot with the hotel manager if those who choose the taxis expect to deduct some $ for themselves.

#3 Posted: 10/1/2014 - 10:07

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Edward,

It sounds like you may have already started off on the wrong foot if you are looking for a problem here. Perhaps the hotel manager will get a commission for this fare. Perhaps not. But people who provided services, from car mechanics to travel agents and beyond, typically charge a fee for those services. The hotel manager has provided a service to you by arranging a taxi for you. You've already agreed on a fare, so pay it (I'd pay the driver but I imagine either choice is fine) and enjoy the ride from the airport into town.

Have a nice trip.

#4 Posted: 10/1/2014 - 10:23

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

If you've agreed the fare, then where is the problem? You pay what you agreed. The question is WHO to pay: the driver, or the manager? You may find the driver was commissioned by the hotel, or could be an employee of the hotel. If I'm unsure, I just ask the driver: Do I pay you, or the hotel?" I've never had a problem yet with that approach - a taxi driver isn't going to screw over the hotel manager that got him the job. And the Lao are generally pretty trustworthy and honest.

If you're still concerned, just confirm the point with the hotel via email before you leave.

#5 Posted: 10/1/2014 - 18:51

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Pay either the driver or the hotel. They'll figure out commission share on their own.

#6 Posted: 12/1/2014 - 02:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Arrival in Luang Prabang ... By amz155 on 30 Nov 2006 4 1684 2 Dec 2006
Luang Prabang Questions ... By TheNewGuy8 on 31 Oct 2010 7 1846 2 Nov 2010
Visa on Arrival Siem Reap-Luang Prabang ... By callarda on 2 Jun 2010 3 3516 2 Jun 2010
Any change to 'visa on arrival' at Luang Prabang airport? ... By EdwardTrunk on 2 Jan 2014 2 1455 27 Jan 2014
Luang Prabang to Sapa: Particular route questions. ... By Sparkwanderlust on 19 Apr 2014 1 1239 21 Apr 2014
luang prabang questions - bike, kayak, etc. ... By cjigga on 8 Dec 2009 7 3575 6 Jan 2010
Visa and Money Questions ... By dameon on 16 Dec 2009 2 2385 31 Dec 2009
Flights from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang & Luang Prabang to Hanoi(V'nam)? ... By aussieboonmar on 8 Mar 2006 7 9497 19 Aug 2011