Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Euros in Laos

• Montevideo

Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2007

As I would not like to change Euros into Dollars in Europe only to change them to Kip in Laos I would like to know whether Euros can be changed at an appropriate exchange rate in Laos.

#1 Posted: 28/8/2007 - 02:38

• Advertisement

• marianwarren

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2006
    Total reviews: 13

Hi montevideo

Yes the banks wiil change your €'s in LP - In Vientiane there are also exchange booths that deal with €'s

Kind regards

Marian

#2 Posted: 28/8/2007 - 04:54

• Montevideo

Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2007

Thank you for your answer Marian

I will be going to Si Phan Don in October and I wonder whether you know whether it is advisable to travel with many kip to pay everything in that currency or are there items (hotel, transport, restaurant) that need to be be paid in other currencies because the local one will not be accepted?

Thanks again

Montevideo

#3 Posted: 7/9/2007 - 23:29

• marianwarren

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2006

Hi Montevideo

On our last morning on Don Khon we paid our breakfast tab in a combination of Baht, Kip and $$'s - if we had had €'s I'm sure they would have been accepted too. It is tricky to get the currency balance right as you don't want to be stuck with heaps of kip when you leave Laos - the local businesses recognise this and are very accomodating - they don't care what currency as long as they get paid.

Regards

Marian

#4 Posted: 8/9/2007 - 04:39

• marianwarren

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2006

Hi again

I thought I’d expand a little on the money issue.

All the guesthouses/hotels we stayed at (except 1) quoted their rates in USD. Stall-holders at the night
    market in LP, internet cafes, tour operators, handicraft shops etc talk $’s. Generally public
    transport, public buildings, cafes, restaurants, food-stalls, mini-marts, post-office etc talk Kip.

I imagine you would have no problems using €’s as there are lots of French tourists in Laos, but having Kip on hand gives you more bargaining power. If you want to buy something and are quoted the price €3 or $4 or 30,000 Kip the best price is in Kip - even 35,000 Kip is a better price than the others – as there are no part €’s or $’s. Today’s rates are €1 = 13000 Kip: $1 = 9500 Kip.

I suggest carrying all 3 - even Baht if you are entering/leaving from Thailand.

Hope that helps

Marian

#5 Posted: 8/9/2007 - 08:15

• Montevideo

Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2007

It does, Marian. Thank you!

There is a saying in my language that if you offer someone your little finger he will take your whole hand - meaning that he takes advantage of a generous person.

I fear that I am going to do exactly that now.

Even though I read the travelfish information I have not really decided where to stay: Don Dhet or Don Khon. My age (55) tells me that I might rather ´belong´to Don Khon. As I am travelling alone this time I wonder though whether Don Dhet is better for meeting people. What do you think?

regards

Montevideo

#6 Posted: 9/9/2007 - 18:11

• marianwarren

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2006

Hi Montevideo

I gained so much information and advice from Travelfish and it's contributors last year before our trip, that I am more than happy to help others if I can.

We too are in our 50's and found Don Khon to be fairly laidback and quiet - as the electricity cuts out about 10pm no loud bars or parties to keep you awake (Sala Phae is a great place to eat - to stay too - but it was booked out). I can't comment much about Don Khet except that it is more developed (compared to much of Lao) and the bungalows along the northern shore looked very close together; there were more people than on Don Khon - but considering this was the week before Christmas both were very quiet.

I can't really advise you which one to choose - we didn't want to hang out with 20yr old backpackers (though we are quite happy to spend time with other travellers). Maybe read all you can about both and go with the gut instinct. I'm sure you'll have a great time whichever you choose.

Any more questions? fire away!

Ciao

Marian

#7 Posted: 9/9/2007 - 19:24

• Montevideo

Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2007

Thank you Marian,

at the moment I can´t think of any more questions and I am just looking forward to getting the work done and to leave for Laos.

regards and take care

Montevideo

#8 Posted: 13/9/2007 - 01:37

• pauljaymes

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2006
    Total reviews: 3

I saw a couple of euro prices on display in Laos and I think the locals are more than happy to accept them (along with Baht and Dollars), though as it has been said you may not get the best rates. Whatever you pay with, expect to get your change in kip.

#9 Posted: 25/9/2007 - 06:12

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.