Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Laos to Cambodia. Via Mekong.

• chinaconsul-
    t3

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2014

Hi everyone,

does anyone know if it is possible to go by smallish boat on the Mekong from Laos to Cambodia. If possible, presumably it would have to be when there is plenty of water in the river. I am aware of the waterfalls and rapids. However I am wondering if there might be any local knowledge of a way past or through this forbidding stretch of river on the border.

Brian.

#1 Posted: 26/2/2014 - 22:20

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

If there is "local knowledge" the people who know probably won't be posting here. At any rate, you'll have to get out of the river and proceed to a border crossing post if you don't want to enter Cambodia illegally. I would imagine if the boat is small enough you can carry it around rapids, but that would probably be rough going. It would have to be some sort of inflatable I would imagine. Not my area of expertise though. I know it is possible to go from Nong Khai down to Khong Chiam.

#2 Posted: 27/2/2014 - 22:29

• chinaconsul-
    t3

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2014

Thank you very much for your comment. It is helpful.
    Brian

#3 Posted: 27/2/2014 - 23:07

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Nong khai to khong chiam would cost how much u think?

What sort of boat would it be?

#4 Posted: 28/2/2014 - 05:15

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

If it were me, I would use a Kayak. You could negotiate the limited rough water between Nong Khai and Khong Chiam in a Kayak, store stuff in it... That's what I'd use. But where to get one? Over here? Hell if I know.

#5 Posted: 28/2/2014 - 10:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Floating the Mekong from Laos to Cambodia ... By rsthomas on 11 Aug 2008 8 6112 29 Mar 2010
Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos & the Greater Mekong ... By ade7 on 2 Jun 2008 2 1694 3 Jun 2008
Border Crossing Cambodia to Laos via Mekong ... By jeeeebus on 7 Feb 2013 2 2188 14 Feb 2013