Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Laos to Cambodia. Via Mekong.

Posted by chinaconsult3 on 26/2/2014 at 22:20

Hi everyone,

does anyone know if it is possible to go by smallish boat on the Mekong from Laos to Cambodia. If possible, presumably it would have to be when there is plenty of water in the river. I am aware of the waterfalls and rapids. However I am wondering if there might be any local knowledge of a way past or through this forbidding stretch of river on the border.

Brian.

#1 chinaconsult3 has been a member since 25/2/2014. Posts: 4

Posted by MADMAC on 27/2/2014 at 22:29

If there is "local knowledge" the people who know probably won't be posting here. At any rate, you'll have to get out of the river and proceed to a border crossing post if you don't want to enter Cambodia illegally. I would imagine if the boat is small enough you can carry it around rapids, but that would probably be rough going. It would have to be some sort of inflatable I would imagine. Not my area of expertise though. I know it is possible to go from Nong Khai down to Khong Chiam.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by chinaconsult3 on 27/2/2014 at 23:07

Thank you very much for your comment. It is helpful.
Brian

#3 chinaconsult3 has been a member since 25/2/2014. Posts: 4

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 28/2/2014 at 05:15

Nong khai to khong chiam would cost how much u think?

What sort of boat would it be?

#4 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by MADMAC on 28/2/2014 at 10:53

If it were me, I would use a Kayak. You could negotiate the limited rough water between Nong Khai and Khong Chiam in a Kayak, store stuff in it... That's what I'd use. But where to get one? Over here? Hell if I know.

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.