Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Pakse

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

What's the food scene there like? Good little restaurants and streed food along the river? Is it a cool town to hang out in for a few days?

#1 Posted: 20/3/2014 - 23:22

• Advertisement

• LillaAnna

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2013
    Places visited:
    At least 23

Yes normaly the food scene is good and it is nice to hang out by the river (and on the barges). But at the moment a lot of the center is dug up. Putting down new waterpipes and suagepipes. A muddy mess....

#2 Posted: 22/3/2014 - 12:00

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Ok thanks.

#3 Posted: 22/3/2014 - 18:37

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

You haven't been to Pakse until you have had pho at the Lankham Hotel.

#4 Posted: 22/3/2014 - 19:44

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I hate Vietnamese Pho. Is the Laos version different?

#5 Posted: 23/3/2014 - 00:23

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Somsai, u need new friends if they spit into your soup.

#6 Posted: 23/3/2014 - 09:22

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

Mac pho is actually delicious, I fear you have been the victim of a totally gross and biased tradition. Yup, I'm talking about spitting in the soup. It's not a rumor but is actually fairly common and kind of a harmless bit of humor or prank played on male falang expats from Thailand.

Some common avoidance strategies are to not speak any Thai, use Lao or even better only English and be sure to mention that it's your first time in Asia and you are on your way up from Cambodia or Vietnam or Singapore or something.

I have a buddy who taught me this game called "spot the spit" that he played in Vientiane where many expats from Thailand go to make their visa runs. He'd watch a falang loudly saunter in, Thai "girlfriend" and various hangers on in tow, watch the cook ladle up a large steaming bowl of pho, then there would be that short second of losing sight of the bowl, a back turned or a moment in the back room accompanied by that unmistakable coughing or a clearing of the throat. Then, voila! A smiling waitress appears bowl of pho held high like some kind of reverent offering to the unsuspecting falang, or farang as they are called across the river.

Some say it's harmless, all in good fun, one has to be able to take a joke. I don't know that I've had the pleasure, but I suspect it adds a note of sour to the soup. How do you find the taste?

#7 Posted: 23/3/2014 - 09:23

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Somsai - well, I didn't go more than once. I don't like the ****. It's on my long list of SEA foods I don't like. That list is WAY longer than the list of what I do like.

I'm kind of popular around here, so it's tough to believe. But I'll admit you never know.

Pho is crap. Sorry.

#8 Posted: 24/3/2014 - 09:37

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

The ingredients r fine if u put it with chicken. I wouldnt want it with oxe tail or cheap beef bones.

#9 Posted: 24/3/2014 - 17:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.