Laos forum

Distance/Time - Border to Chiang Mai

• EmjayReet

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2006
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 3

Hi,

Now I know this info is out there somewhere but I have spent ages trying to find it unsuccessfully....

Staying in Huay Xui overnight, wanting to go to Bangkok the next day.... Can someone tell me how long I can expect to take to get to Chiang Mai? Trying to book a flight from CM to BKK and need to have a rough estimate of how long it will take to get there?

Best options? Pricing? Any other info would be great at the same time!

Reet xx

#1 Posted: 7/9/2007 - 09:57

• Advertisement

• EmjayReet

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2006
    Location Australia

Oops look what I just found!

http://www.travelfish.org/transport/laos/northern_laos/bokeo/huay_xai/all

Is it really only 4 hours to Chiang Mai? How reliable is the transport time wise? I have the option of a 6pm flight or a 10pm flight... am wanting the earlier one... but didnt want to leave myself short!

Reet
    x

#2 Posted: 7/9/2007 - 10:02

• marianwarren

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2006
    Total reviews: 13

Hi Reet

We did the journey in reverse from Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai/Chiang Khong last Nov - it took 5 1/2 hours with a 15 min wait at Chiang Rai. CM - CR 2nd class a/c 3 1/4 hrs 180 THB (we caught the 10.30 am - we got to the bus station around 9-ish but couldn't get seats before then). CR - CK (local bone rattler) 2 1/4 hrs 57THB (this one runs hourly).

Takes about 30 mins from Nthn bus station to the airport by tuk tuk/songthaew.

Pretty sure if you crossed from Huay Xai fairly early you could make the 6pm flight.

Hope this helps

Marian

#3 Posted: 7/9/2007 - 15:05

• EmjayReet

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2006
    Location Australia

Thanks Marian

Do you, or anyone else, know if there is 'public' transport available or do we need to take a private bus?

Is one prefable over the other?

Reet xx

#4 Posted: 7/9/2007 - 15:14

• EmjayReet

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2006
    Location Australia

Again .. idiot.. you are obviously referring to 'public'... :-)

#5 Posted: 7/9/2007 - 15:17

• marianwarren

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2006
    Total reviews: 13

I'll ignore the idiot - I presume you're describing yourself. Yep both buses were govt run.

Ciao

Marian

#6 Posted: 7/9/2007 - 16:15

• EmjayReet

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2006
    Location Australia

Argh! I am having a blonde day... no I was referring to ME! You are not an idiot Marian.. you and your info is always wonderful!!! Sorry xxxx

#7 Posted: 7/9/2007 - 16:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.