Motorbike mechanic in Luang Prabang?

• cbg0927

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2013
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Can anyone recommend a motorbike mechanic in Luang Prabang? I'm thinking of heading to some of the local big bike rental places and asking there - but I'd also appreciate any suggestions here as well. I'm looking to get a few repairs/tune-up/oil change done on my Honda Win before I head north and cross into Vietnam at Tay Trang and head towards Sapa.

#1 Posted: 5/5/2014 - 00:54

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Just look for any shop/house that has a tire (tyre) hanging out front on display. It's the universal (SE Asian) indication of a motorbike repair shop.

#2 Posted: 5/5/2014 - 20:49

• SoManyMiles

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    7th February, 2014

Unfortunately most motorbike mechanics in Luang Prabang don't understand the concept of tune-up or maintenance, only fixing something when its broken. There's a really good mechanic on Mano Road in between Wat Mano and Le Sen Boutique Hotel. It's a tiny tiny shop run by a Vietnamese family and the mechanic looks (and probably is) 16 years old but he's excellent, charges next to nothing and actually runs checks on the whole bike, not just what needs to be fixed.

Otherwise the big motorbike mechanic shop is in on Kingkitsarath Road, the street running between Spicy Laos and Amantaka (a block from Spicy Laos, it's across from Luang Prabang Legend Hotel http://www.luangprabanglegend.com - you can't miss it, motorbikes and oil everywhere.

#3 Posted: 5/5/2014 - 23:21

• cbg0927

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2013
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Thanks @SoManyMiles for that. Visited the Vietnamese mechanic on Manoram road today. For anyone looking, he's on the opposite side of Le Sen Boutique Hotel and Wat Manoram, about 150 meters away from Le Sen, in the direction of Wat Manoram.

Also visited another mechanic in LP as recommended by a local expat here. Here's a dropped pin where the shop is:

https://flic.kr/p/nxTcr5

#4 Posted: 9/5/2014 - 06:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Looking for a motorbike to buy in Luang Prabang ... By synopia on 24 Nov 2012 0 587 24 Nov 2012
I sell, you buy! Motorbike in Luang Prabang, Lao! ... By BornToTravel on 21 Feb 2012 1 749 21 Feb 2012
Buying a motorbike in Luang Prabang ... By janisn on 4 Oct 2011 0 966 4 Oct 2011
Motorbike for sale, Lao, Luang Prabang or vientiane ... By caroline88 on 7 Aug 2011 11 6044 15 Jan 2012
Hotels in Luang Prabang and Motorbike Hire ... By ron67 on 30 Dec 2008 12 6304 17 Feb 2009
Flights from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang & Luang Prabang to Hanoi(V'nam)? ... By aussieboonmar on 8 Mar 2006 7 9476 19 Aug 2011