Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Siem Reap to Luang Prabang via Vientiane

• georgie150

Joined Travelfish
    11th March, 2014

Hi there,

2 of us are planning on travelling from Siem Reap to Luang Prabang via Vientiane in the next day or so. We were planning on flying but the flights are about 230USD (left it very late to book).

We can't really justify that cost so are now thinking of going overland via the following route:

Taxi / bus from here (SR) to the border near Poipet, cross the border, get a tuk tuk to the bus station, get a bus to Korat (Nakhon Ratchasima) then either a bus or train to Nonk Khai. From there either stay there a night (depending on when we arrive) or cross the border and get a bus / taxi to Vientiane.

Once in Vientiane we need to get our Myanmar visas before we head to LP. Thinking we may spend a night in V after all that travelling or if we're up for it, get a sleeper to LP that night.

Has anyone done this route or any part of it and can offer advice or any bus companies we should use/avoid? All sounds a bit exhausting but hoping it will be an adventure.

Thanks so much.
    G

#1 Posted: 2/6/2014 - 07:04

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I can't speak to the Laos piece, but on the Thai side, you are talking a long way. I would advise you spend a night in Korat before heading to Nong Khai . I personally would also spend a night in Nong Khai (because I like it there) but I don't know what your timelines are.

As for "Bus companies", when you are taking the bus in the provinces just get the best VIP services there are. IF you can get a van (they are getting really common now) then do so.

#2 Posted: 2/6/2014 - 11:12

• SoManyMiles

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    7th February, 2014

Hi georgie150,
    The sticker prices for flights to Laos are shocking but when you add up all the time and money trying to get there by road (especially to Luang Prabang ), avoiding the flight gets to be a case of false economy. If you are trying to get from Cambodia to Luang Prabang without wanting to stop and see things along the way, then flight is by far the best option.

But since you need a Myanmar visa, what I suggest is
    1. you go from Siem Reap to Bangkok by bus, get your Myanmar visa in Bangkok (very efficient place to get it) and then you can take an overnight train to Vientiane , then proceed to Luang Prabang (either flight, bus or minivan).
    2. you fly direct from Siem Reap to Luang Prabang, and after enjoying you make your way down to Vientiane and get your Myanmar visa
    3. you can also get your Myanmar visa in Phnom Penh

If I knew what your plans are after Laos, I could advise you better. Most people get to Yangon with a flight from Bangkok in which case you can skip Vientiane altogether and just get your Myanmar visa in Bangkok before you fly. Hope this helps.

#3 Posted: 2/6/2014 - 23:37

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I agree with this caveat: Let's say it takes them three days to get there, well, that's three days they would be in Luang Prabang eating, drinking, sleeping, etc. That all adds up too. So the real cost comparison, if time is not a factor, is in travel costs. The costs for buses, taxis, etc. against the cost for the aircraft. If time is a factor, well then flying makes a big difference.

So Georgie what did you do?

#4 Posted: 3/6/2014 - 03:54

• Turkishpizza

Joined Travelfish
    11th May, 2014

Route is fine for a 3 week trip. For a 3 day trip you have missed a whole region.

#5 Posted: 3/6/2014 - 06:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Getting from Luang Prabang/Vientiane to Siem Reap/Phnom Penh ... By byrie on 28 Oct 2007 1 6609 1 Nov 2007
Luang Prabang to Siem Reap by air? ... By SybilVane on 5 Jun 2009 2 2607 5 Jun 2009
Flying from Siem Reap to Luang Prabang? ... By magalaya on 20 Feb 2013 6 4218 27 Feb 2013
Flights from Luang Prabang - Siem Reap ... By redmill on 1 Jan 2008 2 7927 8 Jan 2008
Flying Siem Reap to Luang Prabang ... By kriscrox on 6 Sep 2010 6 3466 16 Sep 2010
Flying from Siem Reap to Luang Prabang ... By Brisbod on 17 Aug 2008 11 12348 29 Nov 2009
Visa on Arrival Siem Reap-Luang Prabang ... By callarda on 2 Jun 2010 3 3547 2 Jun 2010
Flights Luang Prabang to Siem Reap - April 2013 ... By rashers on 26 Jan 2013 3 1171 1 Feb 2013
Chaing Mai to Luang Prabang to Siem Reap Travel Suggestions? ... By jenwhalensf on 19 Apr 2007 0 2465 19 Apr 2007
Vientiane to Luang Prabang ... By Gerry on 15 May 2008 17 10245 18 Dec 2008