Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Vientiane in 4 days - too long?

• Eldwyer90

Joined Travelfish
    14th May, 2013

Hi Guys,

I need to travel to Laos from Bangkok this weekend to get my working visa. I thought I would take the opportunity to make a small holiday out of it. If I travel Friday night, I will arrive in Vientiane Saturday Morning. I am unfortunately confined to Vientiane as I need to be at the embassy early Monday morning and I will need to pick it up the next day on Tuesday. I will be travelling back to Thailand tuesday night.

I have heard there isn't a great deal to do in Vientiane. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations as to what to do there?

Also is 3 nights and four days too long in the city? I could always travel Saturday night if that is the case and cut my trip shorter.

Suggestions welcome!

Eleanor

#1 Posted: 18/6/2014 - 21:57

• Advertisement

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

If you've never been to Vientiane and you're not in a hurry, I think hanging out there for 4 days is a great idea. It's not really a place to go and do things as is the case with most of Laos. It's more about walking around town, picking up a bit of food here, meandering through a wat there... Just a nice relaxing place that many people like to claim is boring. But I don't really agree with that unless you're looking for fast-paced action.

If you really want things to do, check out the list on the travelfish main site... Buddha park is OK, the arc de triomph lookalike is worth a visit... markets... And then eat. It's a great place to eat. Have fun!

#2 Posted: 19/6/2014 - 04:59

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Do you have a hobby? Because chances are you could pursue it there. Yoga, TKD, Muay Thai, Chess... whatever. If there is something you like to do, there's a decent chance you can find a place in Vientiane to do it and meet people and make friends while you're at it.

#3 Posted: 19/6/2014 - 05:09

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Buy a good travel book (not a travel guide) about Laos and read it while you are there.

And then eat, relax, drink a beer and go to a few museums.

I enjoy cities where there aren't too many must sees. Sightseeing gets in the way of relaxation!

#4 Posted: 19/6/2014 - 06:01

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Here is something I wrote about Vientiane in 2008:

In Vientiane, I'd say a walk along the riverside, a trip to the morningmarket, and a visit to That Luang and the temples down closer to theriver, including Wat Pra Kaeo, are a must. PatuXai is also a greatplace to visit, particularly evenings or on Sunday when lots of youngfamiles are there for an outing, and you'll get wonderful views of thecity from the top of the monument. The cultural show, if it is stillbeing offered, is also well worth the time and money. Plus, justwalking around in the less-visited spots of the city will turn upbakeries and eateries and other fun, local, authentic stuff.

In short, I agree with the others. There should be plenty of fun and relaxing stuff to do in Vientiane for 4 days. Remember, a holiday can be laid back and slow and relaxing too. Those four days in Vientiane sound pretty good to me. Cheers.

#5 Posted: 19/6/2014 - 07:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.