Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Coffee in Laos (and cambodia)?

• kaffecalle

Joined Travelfish
    8th September, 2007

Does anyone know how to get to coffeeplantations in Laos (and cambodia)? Are there anymore than the one on the Bolaven plateau? How do I get there?
    Thank you!
    Carl

#1 Posted: 19/9/2007 - 03:02

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Carl,

A good spot to start is Delta Coffee in Pakse -- I've heard they can facilitate trips up to the plantations. Outside of the Bolaven Plateau though I'm not sure. In Cambodia, most of the coffee comes from Mondulkiri and Rattanakiri, but I don't know exactly where -- would suggest asking around in the provincial capitals...

Sorry can't be of more help.

#2 Posted: 19/9/2007 - 09:35

• comanchero

Joined Travelfish
    8th December, 2006
    Total reviews: 6

Hello Carl,

The Bolavens Plateau is the place to go for coffee plantations. There are many coffee plantations there. You can arrange a tour of the plateau thru any of the many travel agencys in Pakxe. Or you can rent a car or scooter and go on your own & see what you see. You could also ask any tuk-tuk driver in Pakxe to take you on a tour. Paksong market is full of coffee vendors. Pahsoume is one of the most lovely waterfalls I have ever seen...there is a restaurant there where you can sit by the falls & sip the best iced coffee ever. Villagers all around the plateau have coffee beans drying in front of their homes. Delta coffee in Pakxe no longer arranges tours, but I'm sure they could give you some good information. If you like coffee, you'll love the Bolavens Plateau. We've got pictures up at www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/not-in-ks-anymo-Toto if you want to see some (look under Bolavens Plateau). Also you could go to Tad Lo & talk to Soulideth at Tim's guest house. He could fix you up with a good guide. Best wishes on your trip...wish I was going along.

#3 Posted: 21/9/2007 - 22:46

• kaffecalle

Joined Travelfish
    8th September, 2007

Thank you for your tips! We're going there in two weeks now. Will report how it went!

#4 Posted: 9/10/2007 - 05:59

• goo_stewart

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2007

Go to Pakse and go to the only disco in town, cant remember off the top of my head the name, but there is a really nice family who own it. They will show you all the plantations. They took me for free and the daughters English is perfect - studied in US for years.

#5 Posted: 12/10/2007 - 10:58

• oliverb

Joined Travelfish
    27th August, 2007

Does anybody know if it is possible to buy green (unroasted) coffee beens in luggage-friendly quantities (i.e. 1-2kg) on the Plateau or in Pakxe, and if it is legal to import them into Thailand? (I know it is legal to import from Thailand to the EU in this quantity but I have to travel through Thailand so I have to make sure they don't confiscate it there.) I've heard that the Lao coffee is actually quite good but never was able to find any in shops.

#6 Posted: 16/10/2007 - 14:22

• kaffecalle

Joined Travelfish
    8th September, 2007

I've just learned they grow arabica in Luang Prabang. Go see a place by mekong a bit north of center called Saffron Coffee. They make good coffee and they can probably help setting up a trip to one of the villages where the coffee is grown. I won't have time to do the trip myself. But i'm going down to Pakse:bolaven plateau tomorow so i'm not too sad.

Does anyone know if greenbeans can be brought from thai to Australia? Or is the import laws too strict?

#7 Posted: 25/10/2007 - 13:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Aziza's Coffee, Phnom Penh - Selling coffee from Cambodia's first SOLAR-POWERED TUKTUK ... By AzizasCoffee on 18 Nov 2014 0 134 18 Nov 2014
Coffee journeys with Akha Ama Coffee, Chiangmai/Chiangrai ... By wanderingcat on 10 Dec 2010 0 2385 10 Dec 2010