Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Help with Border Crossing Vietnam into Laos

• Jenn23le

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2014

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hello,

My fiancé and I will be traveling to Laos in a few weeks coming from Vietnam. We are hoping to make our way from the Cha Lo > Na Phao border crossing. We know that this is the least taken border crossing between Vietnam and Laos but it would help the flow of our travels if we could do so. We have been researching and have gotten conflicting answers on if it is possible to obtain a visa upon arrival at this border crossing. Can I please get some assistance in the matter.

Has anyone experience/have done this crossing and know if it would be possible to obtain a visa upon arrival.

We will be in Dong Hoi and want to depart from there making our way into Laos with less travel time getting to a border crossing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

#1 Posted: 14/8/2014 - 22:11

• Advertisement

• tf_geckozy

Joined Travelfish
    2nd September, 2008

As for Cha Lo/Na Phao border, i crossed only once but it's many years ago though i crossed other borders(6 of 7 in all between VN and Laos) many times from both sides till today so i'm not sure about VOA at Na Phao Lao border --- I checked it on line and its result was as below.

*VOA at Na Phao Lao border is "Yes".
    http://mekongtourism.org/website/about-mtco/what-is-the-gms/visa-border-crossings-information/lao-visa-border/

Timetable of international bus "from Thakhek to Dong Hoi " is maybe "via Na Phao/Cha Lo border" so opposite direction "from Dong Hoi to Thakhek" via Cha Lo/Na Phao border is also avalable, i think---but i don't know whether this timetable is new or old.
    http://spotonlaos.com/place/khammouane-bus-station-thakhek-laos/
    (Thakhek to Dong Hoi--90,000 kip/Mon & Wed & Fri & Sat/Dep.07:00am)
    (Dong Hoi to Thakhek----? Please check for yourself)

#2 Posted: 15/8/2014 - 02:29

• Jenn23le

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2014

Posted from within Vietnam.

Thanks so much for your help tf_geckozy! I've too have looked at this sight and was glad to see that we would be able to get visa upon arrival. Again we have had conflicting answers and wanted to see if we can confirm a yes with someone who has done it.

We are not sure if we should take a gamble and take the local bus and cross the Cha Lo> Na Phao boarder.

Again we much appreciate the help!

#3 Posted: 15/8/2014 - 03:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Vietnam/Laos most Northern border crossing ... By TomHK on 10 Mar 2010 10 5354 6 May 2011
Laos-Vietnam Border Crossing (Na Maew/Nam Xoi) ... By nobbers on 9 Aug 2006 2 6759 11 Aug 2006
Vietnam to Laos - Crossing at the Bo Y border....transport. ... By qifitness on 21 Feb 2014 3 1285 22 Feb 2014
Vietnam-Laos border crossing (Na Maew-Nam Xoi) ... By cplhsu on 22 Apr 2008 14 16292 20 Oct 2014
Help - going from Laos to Hue in Vietnam, has anyone used the Na Phao & Cha Lo border crossing? ... By Digitalis on 10 Jan 2009 1 3753 15 Jan 2009
Land border crossing from northern Laos to northern Vietnam ... By hfergu on 23 Jun 2010 2 5308 24 Jun 2010
border crossing to laos at bo y ... By fishtails04 on 13 Feb 2008 2 3621 13 Feb 2008
Crossing the border in Laos! ... By floralbutton on 2 Feb 2011 8 3470 10 Feb 2011
Bo Y border crossing and Laos Visa ... By kiwigirl on 15 Apr 2007 4 4294 19 Apr 2007
Another Thai-Laos Border Crossing at Ban Mo ... By Tilapia on 9 Jan 2009 2 2652 9 Jan 2009