Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

rental taxi service roundtrip laos

Posted by horseback on 9/10/2007 at 22:06

Does anybody have experience with rental of taxiservice with good english speaking driver for 2 weeks roundtrip in Laos in November/December??
Roundtrip will be:
Udon Thani- Vientiane-Vang Vieng-Luang Prabang- Non Khiaw(boat) - Nam Neung - Phonsavan - Vientiane - Udon Thani. Will need car 8 days and spent other days otherwise.
First inquiries look very expensive (USD 100/day).
Can I use sedan car or do I need 4x4 for these roads??
If anybody could give me name of driver I would be delighted.

#1 horseback has been a member since 14/8/2007. Posts: 5

Posted by Rufus on 10/10/2007 at 06:12

You can use a sedan, you do not need a 4WD for this trip. Do you really think $100 a day is expensive for a car and a driver? Think how much you would pay in your own country for this service. Having said this, you may be able to bargain the price down somewhat as you are going for an extended time.

#2 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 973

Posted by somtam2000 on 10/10/2007 at 14:08 admin

US$100 strikes me as a little high -- but if you've priced that through some online agency, then the rate will be inflated anyway. As Rufus says, a 4WD is not essential, but I'd say a 4WD will prob be more comfortable - especially if you have a lot of luggage.

A friend who hired a 4WD with driver for about six weeks of travel in Southern Laos paid in the region of US$60-70 per day from memory. He's away at the moment, but when he's back in town I'll see if I can get the driver's details for you (the driver was based in Vientiane, so you'd need to get yourself there first I think).

Will post back if I get some more info.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by fondo on 10/10/2007 at 20:58

I don't think you'll get a car to go over the border, so you'll need to get one in Vientiane. I was quoted USD70 without, USD80 with driver (I think). Ten bucks a day comprehensive insurance 'ain't too bad!

That was for 5 days, maybe longer is cheaper. Joe Rumble's your man.

www.avr.laopdr.com

#4 fondo has been a member since 23/6/2006. Posts: 170
 Where has fondo been? 

Posted by fondo on 10/10/2007 at 20:59

I don't think you'll get a car to go over the border, so you'll need to get one in Vientiane. I was quoted USD70 without, USD80 with driver (I think). Ten bucks a day comprehensive insurance 'ain't too bad!

That was for 5 days, maybe longer is cheaper. Joe Rumble's your man.

www.avr.laopdr.com

#5 fondo has been a member since 23/6/2006. Posts: 170
 Where has fondo been? 

Posted by horseback on 11/10/2007 at 05:57

Thanks for answers. I was comparing rates which I have experienced in Sri Lanka (2006 usd 35/day taxidriver was excellent english speaking guide as well); Cambodia (Jan. 2007 usd 40) and Thailand (2005 usd 30).
Sofar AVR.laopdr.com quoted me same rates (usd70-80). Why is Laos so much more expensive??
Still I will be happy to receive name/contact of good driver.

#6 horseback has been a member since 14/8/2007. Posts: 5

Posted by kam_taxi on 12/3/2008 at 14:09

oh.. i'm a bit late, have you done this trip yet sir!

#7 kam_taxi has been a member since 11/3/2008. Posts: 7

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.