Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Place between Vang Vieng and Luang Prabang

• Lars

Joined Travelfish
    5th October, 2007

Does anybody know of a good place to stay between Vang Vieng and Luang Prabang? Me and my 10 year old daughter will take the bus between Vang Vieng and Luang Prabang but wish to stay overnight in between.

#1 Posted: 11/10/2007 - 20:54

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hi lars,

i made the bus trip between vang vieng and luang prabang just over a year ago, and i don't remember seeing any place that i thought was a good place to stay overnight. the trip itself is one of the most scenic i've even made, but i don't think it is a trip that people break up with an overnight stay.

i think you will be much better off going all the way to luang prabang. if you are looking to get somewhere out of the way and off the beaten path, there are a few places beyond luang prabang that will be much better options for you.

the only way i would even consider an overnight between vv and lp is if i were taking a private car. that way you could stop in any of the small villages along the way and look things over in person, having the option to just keep on going if you don't find something you like.

does anyone else who has made this trip have a different opinion? cheers.

#2 Posted: 12/10/2007 - 10:44

• goo_stewart

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2007

There is a place to stop about half-way, but I seriously don't recommend it with a 10 year old. The place is called Phu Khun and has 2 guest houses. Its a small town in the mountains, quite beautiful, but not really worth a days stop. The accommodation is very basic. At the main intersection the guest houses are 100 meters apart. Signage in English. But, once again, these are basic places, no bathrooms in rooms, no showers (bucket on head time) and one guest house has bed bugs (lower down the street from the intersection). They are cheap, but not recommended, unless you are a weary cyclist!

I will update the section of my site soon to include details on the accommodation in Phu Khun. www.silkwheels.com

#3 Posted: 12/10/2007 - 10:54

• Lars

Joined Travelfish
    5th October, 2007

Thanks a lot to both of you for your replies. The only reason why we wanted to break the trip in to two was that the road between VV and LP should be pretty winding. With your experience do you think it is too winding and tough for a 10 year old (even though that is different from person to person)? Thanks.

#4 Posted: 16/10/2007 - 22:55

• goo_stewart

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2007

Yeah thats a tough question to answer. On my bike the road is tough to do, on a bus/van/car I don't know. 10 year olds are a weird breed in general, but it should be ok. The break in the journey at Phu Khun really might bore a child too much. There is nothing to do there (other than wandering around the town).

The road is in good shape and isn't subject to some of the winding turns found in the Himalayas and other mountains ranges, its more gentle than that, just difficult on a bike!

#5 Posted: 17/10/2007 - 09:18

• princessdis-
    aster

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2006

I did the trip between Lp and VV last April and I didn't find it that long or horrific and would have been able to do it as a 10 year old no problems, although as my Kiwi boyfrined pointed out to me as an Aussie i have a warped sence of what is a long road trip.

It's all paved road and the bus took the turns reasonably slowly, I had a far worse trips in Cambodia on a reasonably straight road. If you were going from 4000 Islands in Laos to PP in Cambodia I would recomend stopping part way - absolute nightmare.

#6 Posted: 17/10/2007 - 10:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng ... By NEILEIO on 29 Aug 2008 2 5262 1 Sep 2008
Night Bus from Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang ... By aik_yong2002 on 16 Jul 2012 3 4966 23 Jul 2012
Luang Prabang to Vientiane- The truth about Vang Vieng ... By misstahlia on 7 Jun 2013 9 5999 10 Jun 2013
Hire a driver luang prabang to vang vieng ... By 21days on 17 Dec 2009 0 4906 17 Dec 2009
Bus from Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng with 2 kids - need advice ... By alainj on 2 Jul 2010 1 4612 2 Jul 2010
Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang - Minivan Hire ... By dclayw on 23 Jul 2009 7 6587 24 Jul 2009
Transport - Vientiane / Vang Vieng / Luang Prabang ... By ruthmoore on 18 Nov 2007 5 13350 26 Aug 2010
Landslide Delaying Bus Travel Vientiane/Vang Vieng - Luang Prabang ... By wanderingcat on 23 Aug 2011 3 3194 5 Sep 2011
Place in Vang Vieng ... By thecocoon on 14 Nov 2009 1 2954 7 Jan 2010
Pan's Place, Vang Vieng, Laos ... By neilenolix on 2 Jan 2007 2 5683 14 Jan 2007