Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Trekking Location and Guide recommendation in Laos

Posted by squong on 15/10/2007 at 11:14

Hi,

I'm looking at going trekking/homestay in Northern Laos and was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a good location off the beaten path, and a good guide (person rather than a travel company) to take us there. I think Travelfish mentioned, Phongsali and Luang Nam Tha. I'm the type of traveler with the philosophy of the farther away from the tourist crowds, the better.

Thanks in advance.

Spencer

~Q

#1 squong has been a member since 30/9/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 10

Posted by somsai on 15/11/2007 at 08:57

I’m so sorry I missed this post, hope I'm not too late.

I highly recommend Tui who is the director of the tourism office in Muang Long on the other side of the hill from Luang Namtha, (past Muang Sing on the way to Xiengkok), and also Suke “The Phou Noi Ninja” who works with the tourism office in Phongsali but is more than happy to take privately guided treks by himself.

You can just show up at the tourism offices and ask, which might be the best method, or contact me for phone #s via my web blog, laobumpkin.

A good fallback is Green Discovery out of Luang Namtha. They have many different guides but all seemed very competent and a lot of fun.

#2 somsai has been a member since 1/3/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 567

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.