Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Trekking Location and Guide recommendation in Laos

• squong

Joined Travelfish
    30th September, 2007
    Location United States

Hi,

I'm looking at going trekking/homestay in Northern Laos and was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a good location off the beaten path, and a good guide (person rather than a travel company) to take us there. I think Travelfish mentioned, Phongsali and Luang Nam Tha. I'm the type of traveler with the philosophy of the farther away from the tourist crowds, the better.

Thanks in advance.

Spencer

~Q

#1 Posted: 15/10/2007 - 11:14

• Advertisement

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

I’m so sorry I missed this post, hope I'm not too late.

I highly recommend Tui who is the director of the tourism office in Muang Long on the other side of the hill from Luang Namtha, (past Muang Sing on the way to Xiengkok), and also Suke “The Phou Noi Ninja” who works with the tourism office in Phongsali but is more than happy to take privately guided treks by himself.

You can just show up at the tourism offices and ask, which might be the best method, or contact me for phone #s via my web blog, laobumpkin.

A good fallback is Green Discovery out of Luang Namtha. They have many different guides but all seemed very competent and a lot of fun.

#2 Posted: 15/11/2007 - 08:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Trekking Guide (and Location) in Northern Thailand ... By squong on 4 Oct 2007 1 2123 4 Oct 2007
Vietnam Hotel,Flight and Location Guide ... By koala4u on 5 Dec 2008 2 3291 31 May 2011